Removing masking fluid

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Removing masking fluid

Post by DeltaVee »

OK, I searched. 1. I won't trust Goo Gone on my paint again. 2. Tape doesn't work. 3. What could isopropyl alcolhol do to Floquil enamels? 4. I have bits of blue masking fluid on a turquoise paint job so it's hard to see.
Won't a bath in hot water loosen the dried masking fluid?
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Yikes. Masking fluid should come right off by just rolling it off with your finger. The alcohol might dull the paint a little, but you can polish it back to a shine. I'd try some warm water first before I tried alcohol, though. What brand of masking fluid is causing the problem?
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Ambroid EZ Mask. (no comment)
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

The major issue is I have several deep ribs close together I used masking fluid to protect the body color from the detail painting for the metallic engine. Tough to get tape down in the crevaces.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Did you do several coats to build up the thickness? If you only did one or two coats, it can be hard to get the mask to peel off the surface. You could try painting the mask over the area again and do several coats to build up a good thickness, then peel it off and it "should" pull off any of the original mask, too.
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Bingo. I should have done 2 coats. But I have limited time to model so...
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Joseph Osborn wrote:Yikes. Masking fluid should come right off by just rolling it off with your finger.
Second that. It might grip well to an "open" or matt surface below, rub rubbing it should loosen enough to peel it off. In some cases I use a simple tooth pick (from wood) to work under the dry fluid. Worst case I could imagine is that the masking fluid was applied before some paint below had dried up thoroughly, so that both materials would bond in some way? But even them you should IMHO be able to rub most of the masking stuff away.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu