Sealing Decals but Preserving Aztek Pattern

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

josdiaz
Turd

Sealing Decals but Preserving Aztek Pattern

Post by josdiaz »

Greetings,

I have placed my decals on my enterprise D...using Micro Set and Sol. However I know I need to spray a lacquer coat to seal them in ... but it will ruin my aztek pattern. Any ideas?

https://plus.google.com/photos/10886564 ... x5-4_emoEg
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

It looks like you did the aztec pattern in gloss/flat rather than two colors, right?

It'll be tedious but I'd say spray the gloss coat to seal the decals then go back and re-mask your aztec and re-spray the flat coat.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by josdiaz »

Thanks Ziz

Two different colors...both flat enamels...

There isn't a mixture I could brush on to the decals? Maybe a watered down lacquer mixture...give a couple lite coats over 2 or 3 days to the decals?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or just spray a flat coat down. And it doesn't need to be a lacquer. I'm particular to Testors flat acrylic.
Abolish Alliteration
josdiaz
Turd

Post by josdiaz »

Cool...will it change the aztek pattern as it currently looks?

Sorry for all the questions...I just don't want to ruin the paint job. If it does I'll just buy another decal set to replace in a few years.
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

To be on the safe side, use an acryllic varnish, nothing based on oil. The latter is good stuff, but in order to minimize any undesired reaction, a water-based varnish is the way to go. Not certain what to propose, since I write from Germany. Revell Aqua varnishes are good, though.

Using a spray (rattle can with a fresh/clean cap will suffice) will also avoid mechanical damage through a brush - and rather use two or three thin coats of varnish than "one thick at once". Just be patient. :8)
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Since it is two different colors, a clear coat ought not effect the pattern. You can test it out easily enough by spraying a little stripe of each color onto a scrap piece of plastic, then hitting that with whatever clear coat you wish to try.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.