1:2500 Scale Enterprise B Question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

dodmayhem

1:2500 Scale Enterprise B Question

Post by dodmayhem »

First off I want to say I am completely new to modeling. I have gotten into it recently and so far have stuck to the snap Round 2 Models and just using decals.

I am building this Excelsior class Enterprise now and I want to try my hand at painting. My question is just what kind of paint is best? I live in an apartment so I don't think I have anywhere good to use spray paint.

Other than that the kit doesn't really say if dull or gloss or what kind of paint it just gives the recommended colors.

I just want to know what would be a good place to star for a beginner. Paint types, colors, tools and whatnot.

Also, the model comes with the aztec water decals. I assume you paint the base coat first and apply the decals after it drys. Does setting solution have any negative effects on the paint after its dried?
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

You'll want to use gloss paints, as decals apply to those best. If you want a duller finish when you're all done, you can hit it with a clear flat coat.

Since it's an apartment, you'll probably want to stick with Acrylic paints, since those have less fumes to worry about.

Setting solution will not affet properly cured paint.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Also since acrylic paint tend not to stick to bare plastic you may want to get a bottle of Future floor polish for a primer because acrylic paints will stick to Future.
Normal?? What is normal??
dodmayhem

Post by dodmayhem »

I went to my local hobby shop and there is so many things to choose from. Will most paints actually say Gloss in the name? Or is there a particular brand that is known for it?
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Most hobby shops carry 2 major brands of acrylic paints, Testors Model Master most of which are flat based paints and Tamiya, some of which are gloss.
Max Nex

Post by Max Nex »

all model paints should specify if they are gloss,satin or matte finish.

if they don't , then ask the people who work at the hobby shop.
zysurge

Post by zysurge »

You could use matte paints, then clear coat with gloss before decaling. It's an extra step, but one that many people take anyway.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

And if you want a gloss that will not yellow over time then use Future floor polish.
dodmayhem

Post by dodmayhem »

I think it came out pretty good. Though this next time I will definitely have an extra coat of paint.

I have a gray primer that I bought but am not sure if that is a good idea to use a gray primer and then use this pearl white over it. Should I get a lighter colored primer?

Also my next ship is the 1/1000 Enterprise 1701. I have seen a lot of people using Pearlescent white on that ship. I have been able to find Pearl White and Pearlized white. Are these the same?
Falcon5768

Post by Falcon5768 »

dodmayhem wrote:I think it came out pretty good. Though this next time I will definitely have an extra coat of paint.

I have a gray primer that I bought but am not sure if that is a good idea to use a gray primer and then use this pearl white over it. Should I get a lighter colored primer?

Also my next ship is the 1/1000 Enterprise 1701. I have seen a lot of people using Pearlescent white on that ship. I have been able to find Pearl White and Pearlized white. Are these the same?
Which Enterprise are we talking about here. The TOS E is more grey than white. The Refit E is the one thats usually done in pearls and the difference there would be to see if the paint is a pearl white (as in white the color of pearls) or pearlized white (paint that has a pearl sheen imbedded into it)

The later is what you want on the Refit E while the former is just a color of white