Airbrush problem

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DMC12

Airbrush problem

Post by DMC12 »

I have a G34 Master Airbursh that is giving me a fit. On the last model I built, I had a bad (clumpy) bottle of Tamiya acrylic - the brush has not worked properly since that time.

I bought the small repair kit as I was unable to thoroughly clean the nozzle and air cap, and I think I may have damaged the needle. Now with a brand new 0.3mm needle, nozzle, and air cap... same issue: air moves through the brush, but little to no paint will come out. It just makes a sputtering noise and very tiny, uneven beads of paint come out.

I made sure that the air cap was on snug and no air was escaping around that area... even put a little teflon tape around the threads there. I have broken down the airbrush completely and done my best to clean it with windex and warm water.

What else could the problem be? I know these aren't the greatest airbrushes, but it worked fine on my first kit. Do I need to just buy a quality airbrush?
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Still sounds like you have air leaking around the head assembly. I've always used beeswax to seal the threads on the head assembly. Is it possible your new parts are not 100%? I have one of these generic airbrushes that I treat pretty badly and it works well. Will it spray plain water?
DMC12

Post by DMC12 »

I just broke it down again completely and cleaned it... have to run a few errands, then I will try it with just water and let you know what happens.
DMC12

Post by DMC12 »

while i was out, i picked up some beeswax lip balm. after reassembling it and using beeswax on the threads of the nozzle cap, i was able to spray water without issue. tried w/ primer and it worked! it does still sound a little raspy as it shoots, but it works.

thanks for the tip!