Using and Painting Over Plated Chrome, Gold, etc.?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Using and Painting Over Plated Chrome, Gold, etc.?

Post by DeltaVee »

This applies to several models I'd like to do.

1. Can I spray Krylon metallic silver over the metallic gold plated paint that comes on the Monogram 1/32 Apollo Command Module, or do I need to strip the kit part and then repaint? (In oher words, will the metallic over a plated finish stick or just not bite and bead up?)

2. On spacesuit models that need gold plated visors, is it ok to just hit the bare plastic or resin visors (depending on the kit) with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper to eliminate any minor imperfections and spray Krylon metallic gold, or hit it with a primer coat and then the metallic paint?

3. It seems easier to paint the visor, mask it, and then spray the suit color around the visor. What's safe to mask with and not mar the finish though?

Thanks.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

1 - not sure but I think it won't look right, may not level out correctly plus I think plated finishes are normally very thick and adding another coat to that will only muddy the details even more.

2 - I'd make sure the base material is as smooth as possible, plastic would probably be ok but resin might need a prime and sanding, I'd go up to 1000 grit just to make sure there's no scratches.

3 - probably drafting tape or post-it notes but it depends on the underlying finish, to be really safe you could mask the area prior to painting the figure, then remove that mask and mask around the visor and shoot that color.

Ken
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Thanks. All good points. On the visors, the area around the faceplate is usually raised, making it easier to paint the faceplate first, mask, then paint the rest of the suit. But then I'm probably having to mask off the suit to spray the faceplate anyway cause gold plating overspray probably wouldn't do good things for spraying the suit. Probably just as well to paint the suit, mask off as best I can with tape and liquid mask and spray the faceplate. I can go back and touch up the interface with white paint or decanted gold as needed.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

DeltaVee wrote:Thanks. All good points. On the visors, the area around the faceplate is usually raised, making it easier to paint the faceplate first, mask, then paint the rest of the suit. But then I'm probably having to mask off the suit to spray the faceplate anyway cause gold plating overspray probably wouldn't do good things for spraying the suit. Probably just as well to paint the suit, mask off as best I can with tape and liquid mask and spray the faceplate. I can go back and touch up the interface with white paint or decanted gold as needed.
Consider too that if you paint the entire suit and then mask off around the visor unless your suit painting is perfectly smooth any imperfections in it will show up in the metallic paint.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

What about bare metal foil for the visor?
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Do you want it to look like aluminum?? If so just air brush some future onto the plated part followed by dull coat
Normal?? What is normal??
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

I asssume I could inspect the faceplate after painting the suit, sand, mask and paint the gold.

Bare Metal Foil on a compound curve? Suicidal. :)
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

DeltaVee wrote:I asssume I could inspect the faceplate after painting the suit, sand, mask and paint the gold.
The Krylon gold may be thick enough to hide any imperfections, hard to say without seeing the visor area after you've painted the suit.

I remember seeing a model somewhere where the visor was painted as a reflection of the lunar surface and other astronaut vs the standard reflective gold look.

Ken
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

I suspect Krylon gold will cover minor imperfections. I've seen models with reflection painted. A friend made some decals from the famous Aldrin photo that I plan to use on the Reheat Aldrin figure. Might be interesting to see how that would do over reflective gold Krylon vs. just gold, white, etc. Testors paint.