Decals yellowing with age

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

interstellarmodeler

Decals yellowing with age

Post by interstellarmodeler »

What's the best way to keep decals from yellowing as they age?

Also, I'm thinking of removing all the yellowed decals off my old Voyager model and replacing them. What's the easiest way to remove old decals without damaging the painted surface?

Appreciate any advice here. Thanks.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

I've never tried this before but I think your answer lays with the final clear coat you put over them. I'm thinking you'll need to remove the top clear coat layer first then try gently pulling the decals up with a low tack tape so as to not lift up and damage the paint job on the base coat.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
interstellarmodeler

Post by interstellarmodeler »

Glorfindel wrote:I've never tried this before but I think your answer lays with the final clear coat you put over them. I'm thinking you'll need to remove the top clear coat layer first then try gently pulling the decals up with a low tack tape so as to not lift up and damage the paint job on the base coat.
Thanks, appreciate the feedbk
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

If there's any top coat, that has to go first - either carefull using a solvent or even (wet) sand paper.

Once the decal is free, you might - instead of the tape trick with its hazards to underlying paint (esp. w/o primer) - try to soak the decal wet, e .g. with a piece of wet paper tissue or cotton placed on top of it for a coup,e of minutes. This works pretty good, esp. on old/brittle decals.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu