Testors Decal Paper

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Keptin Barnes

Testors Decal Paper

Post by Keptin Barnes »

Hello my friends.

A friend sent me some Testors White decal paper.
I have a graphic ready to print onto it. My question is; the instructions mention using a InkJet printer.
Would a Laser Color InkJet printer work? Would I need to spray a fixative of some kind after it's printed (if a Laser InkJet works)?

If so, What would work as a fixative. Bluesman says there is a product called Krylon Fixative. I've never heard of that.
Would it work with Testors decal Paper?

I would REALLY like to finish my build that requires the art on the White decal paper. :D

Thank you for your assistance.

Cheers.

April :please:
"Now Father Jack. What do you say to a nice cup of tea?"
"Feck off, Cup!!"

Namaste--The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you. We are One. :please:

NEW STORY PUBLISHED! Check it out. My first Novelette!. April Welles:

More of my builds:
http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb10 ... oductions/
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

No, don't use decal paper intended for inkjet printing in a laser printer. The coating will melt onto the fuser. There are specially-coated papers for use in Lasers & Alps printers and they are different than inkjet papers.

It is possible you could get away with running it through a laser if the fuser has just started warming up, but I would not risk it.

Inkjet decals almost always require a clear overcoat or fixative to prevent the colors from running when the decal goes into water. Laser decals do not require a clear coat, but it can help with durability.
Keptin Barnes

Post by Keptin Barnes »

Thank you, Joseph (I just saw your post), I appreciate the info. I didn't really know the difference between the two.

Good to know. :)

"Feck off, Cup!!"

Namaste--The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you. We are One. :please:

More of my builds:
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Joseph Osborn wrote:Inkjet decals almost always require a clear overcoat or fixative to prevent the colors from running when the decal goes into water. Laser decals do not require a clear coat, but it can help with durability.
My decals are laser printed and I put a gloss clear coat A) to help seal the artwork to the decal film and B) to help blend the artwork to the film because the printing comes out flat where the rest of the sheet is naturally glossy. The gloss coat makes it easier for people to not have to trim all the way to the artwork if their skills aren't up to it.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Keptin Barnes »

Cool. Thank you for the info, John. I appreciate it. :)

"Feck off, Cup!!"

More of my builds: