Primer Color

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

lvanb

Primer Color

Post by lvanb »

Sort of OT (at least the subject matter)...
Building a 1/720 USS New Jersey (a palate cleanser after last several models being sci fi). I'm ready to put down some primer, and have Tamiya white and gray. Wondering if anyone has insight on what color is best to use...especially when the paint coat will be gray as well. I'm worried with a gray primer that it will be difficult to see where I've sprayed the different (subtly different) shades of gray, but with white, will it lighten up the overcoating gray so that more has to be put on to cover (sort of like preshading - or reverse pre-shading panel lines)?

I asked this on the ship model forum, but not getting many bites. Thought I'd try here (and besides, there is some grey used on starships, so not totally off topic!)

Thoughts? Preferences?
"Well, since there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place I reckon. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!"
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

In situations like that I go with the primer where I can tell where the paint went over it.
The hard practicality of that trumps esoteric antishading.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Chas

Post by Chas »

Yes but if you consider the 'scale effect' or what artists call 'atmospheric perspective' the colour of the model should probably be a little paler anyway. There - you had 6 of 1 and I just gave a half-dozen of the other, So Bob's yer uncle !
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I'd go with the white primer too. As you build up color, with the base coat, washes and filters, etc, the ship will progressively get darker. Best to start out light and work down.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I'd also go white.

Unless you're doing any pre-shading in which case go gray.

Honestly I usually pay no attention to the color of primer as I'll be pre-shading or undercoloring anyways.
Abolish Alliteration