Paint prep for metals?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Opus

Paint prep for metals?

Post by Opus »

Hello,

I'm starting to go beyond the stock kits and add the little touches to make them more realistic. I've got three kits that are nearly ready to paint and it occured to me that I could have problems painting brass, steel and other stuff I've been using.

The first link is to a 144 scale E-Wing fighter and a 1/72 scale F-302. You can see that I've added brass and the best part I could find for the front of E-Wing's cannons were old drill bits that I had broken on other projects.

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s45 ... 5eba2a.jpg
The second link is a combination of drill bits and steel sowing needles that gave me the look I wanted on the X-304.

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s45 ... 00a2c9.jpg
I've only used Testor's enamels. I usually prep by painting a coat of automotive primer from a rattle can and then apply my paints. Will this work for these different metals or do I need to do some other prep work to make sure I don't have peeling problems, etc.?

Thanks.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Auto primer is perfect. As always, make sure all the model's surfaces are clean, dry, and free of any greases or oils.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Before even getting to the primer I'd be sure to clean the surface with at least rubbing alcohol. I also like Rust-Oleum's surface prep as it's much less harsh than standard wax and grease removers. You might see if you can scuff the metal lightly as well, such as with a fine steel wool or scouring pad.

Otherwise your favorite primer will be fine. Lots of kits these days have metal parts in them, after all.

-Rog