Krylon Crystal Clear Problem

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starracer73

Krylon Crystal Clear Problem

Post by starracer73 »

I coated the bottom of a model with Krylon Crystal Clear (about 5 coats), waited 24 hours and then put the model on a flat stand to clear coat the top. I waited another 24 hours. But when I picked the model up, the bottom had stuck to the stand and I had to rip it off--destroyed the bottom clear coat.

Any idea what I did wrong? Based on the Krylon instructions I think it should have been dry and it seemed dry when I handled it. I don't want to start over before I know where I went astray.

Thanks.
Del

Post by Del »

I've been having similar problems with Krylon Crystal Clear. Even some crackling that's got me pretty PO'd. Thankfully that was on a prop that I wanted to look old anyway, so the crackling sort of works. I don't think I'm going to use it anymore. Going to stick with Future from the airbrush. It might have something to do with the weather and humidity. It might seem comfortable to you inside the house, but if it's been raining, that might affect drying time.
Delbert Wells
~~~~~~~~~
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
starracer73

Post by starracer73 »

Del:

Thanks for the reply. You might be right about the humidity issue. I was painting in the back room of a finished basement. Maybe I didn't notice the humidity but the Krylon did. I'm going to give it another shot and give it a couple of weeks to dry before messing with it.
Del

Post by Del »

Also, maybe less coats between drying times. I got to thinking that 5 might have had something to do with it to. Maybe just go with 2 or three before letting dry completely.
Delbert Wells
~~~~~~~~~
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
CaptBillD

Post by CaptBillD »

Curing time is probably another few of days past the "dry-to-touch/handle" point. Krylon's likely "hot" enough that a new coat might soften the previous coat underneath if it isn't cured hard.
What are we running here, Number One- a cadet ship?
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Del wrote:Also, maybe less coats between drying times. I got to thinking that 5 might have had something to do with it to. Maybe just go with 2 or three before letting dry completely.
Likewise the reverse - longer drying times between coats. As mentioned, "dry to the touch" and "fully cured" are two different states. Also be careful you're not laying each coat on too thick. That drags out drying time as well as softens previous coats.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan