semi gloss laquer over enamel?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bjblasko

semi gloss laquer over enamel?

Post by bjblasko »

Anybody know if it's safe to use Testor's semi gloss clear lacquer over their model master enamels? I'd doing a 1/350 PL refit (with aztec decals) and the detail painting is all enamels. I'd like to cover all the dedals with a semi-gloss but I don't want to screw up the detailng. I've been told that it MIGHT be OK if I put on several very light coats of the lacquer, but I'd like to hear that from somebody that's actually done it.
SpaceRanger1

Lacquer over enamel

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Some have reported no problems using Testors lacquer over enamel, but to be on the safe side, one should NEVER apply lacquer over enamel. Most lacquers will dissolve most enamels. The rule is:

Acrylic over enamel over lacquer.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Some one said that the Testor lacquer is realy an enamel. And I think I read it here or on Hobbytalk.
Normal?? What is normal??
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Yup, the Testors stuff is oil-based, just as the enamels, and the Testors/Model Master enamels (esp. those from the Authentic Line) are prone to dissolve under enamel-style varnish. To be safe, use a water-based varnish, e .g. some acryllic stuff. Tamiya has a very goos semi-gloss acryllic varnish.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I do this all the time and have no trouble with it. But I've also been thinning my MM enamels with lacquer thinner for the past several years. I think if you gloss coat with Future for decal application, then tone the finish down with a final coat of semi-gloss lacquer, you won't have any problem at all.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
bjblasko

Post by bjblasko »

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. I e-mailed Testor's and they told me that their enamel-based semi gloss clear (FS-3) is still available and that is what they suggest I use to be safe. They have an on-line store that you can order from if you can't get it any other way.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

bjblasko wrote:Thanks for all the answers and suggestions. I e-mailed Testor's and they told me that their enamel-based semi gloss clear (FS-3) is still available and that is what they suggest I use to be safe. They have an on-line store that you can order from if you can't get it any other way.
I think that would be the second-safest solution, with a water-based acrylic clear being the safest. One word of caution when using the enamel clear: it will eventually yellow a little bit if applied over white or any other very light color. Your Big E might look a little jaundiced after a while.
Dukat, S.G.

Re: semi gloss laquer over enamel?

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

bjblasko wrote:Anybody know if it's safe to use Testor's semi gloss clear lacquer over their model master enamels? I'd doing a 1/350 PL refit (with aztec decals) and the detail painting is all enamels. I'd like to cover all the dedals with a semi-gloss but I don't want to screw up the detailng. I've been told that it MIGHT be OK if I put on several very light coats of the lacquer, but I'd like to hear that from somebody that's actually done it.
I frequently apply coats of Testor's Dullcote and Glosscote over enamels, though I should note that it's been years since I attempted a model as big as the 1/350 PL refit.

That said, I've never had any problems provided the enamel has had plenty of time to cure. If your detail painting and basecoat have dried now for upwards of a week or more, you should be good to go. Give it two weeks to be safe, and then I honestly don't foresee any problems in using lacquer overcoats.
"Cardassians do like to talk. I suppose
it can be a failing, at times."-- Dukat

(My real name's Sean Robertson. Don't let the scales and alter-ego fool you ;D.)
bjblasko

Post by bjblasko »

So is the advantage of the lacquer that it won't yellow?
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

bjblasko wrote:So is the advantage of the lacquer that it won't yellow?
That's one advantage. Another is that it dries much faster than enamel, which usually takes a week or more to fully dry.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I always recommend testing.

I had the Testors Model Car gloss totally orange peel a metal figure painted with enamels (Knight Models Ironman) two weeks before Wonderfest. Of course I did not adhere to my own advise because I was in a hurry. That spray clear was seriously hot. I watched it crinkle right before my very eyes. So these days I always make a test card to check. I've seen where a hot clear can be fine with a non metallic color on a model but totally dissolve a metallic...
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert