Can you thin acrylic craft paint with Future?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sbaxter

Can you thin acrylic craft paint with Future?

Post by sbaxter »

Dumb question time, boys and girls!

So, yeah — wondering if you could thin acrylic craft paint using Future, thereby possibly gaining some measure of Future's self-leveling qualities to help eliminate brush strokes. Obviously, I'm not talking about thinning for airbrushing.

Not even really concerned about whether this is necessary, per se — I know I could use Windex or many other choices for thinning. Just wondering whether anyone has ever tried this …

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I use it to thin Apple Barrel and Ceramcoat paints. The combo makes it much more brushable, especially for larger areas. For small details I still thin with water.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Yeah, no problem with it. The only thing is that craft paint coverage is not that great as it is, and you're going to be taking that away even more. That's why I personally use it more for blending, especially on small figures, for which it works great. You can get kind of in between straight paint and like a Tamiya transparent, which is useful for some things, not so much for others.

Just play around with it and see how you like it.

-Rog
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Okay, that's pretty much what I expected. Thanks!

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

I have never thinned with Future for brush painting.

However. Thinning craft paints with Future does make them spray through an airbrush like a dream!

Max Bryant
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

mightymax wrote:I have never thinned with Future for brush painting.

However. Thinning craft paints with Future does make them spray through an airbrush like a dream!

Max Bryant
Yep. Check the "Frugal Airbrusher" sticky thread for the full discussion.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.