need to know painting,decaling and weathering steps?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

azcoolman

need to know painting,decaling and weathering steps?

Post by azcoolman »

hello everyone my question is simple im looking for the steps i need to take in the painting and weathering process which includes washs,drybrushing with paint or oils,pastels and my decal phases,the dull coats and gloss coats in between which steps etc???..do i dull or gloss coat or future finish before and after every step AFTER the base coat???..im alittle confused thank u for listening and for any comments are appreciated...
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Unless you're mixing paint types - enamel/lacquer/acrylic - you generally only need to do the gloss clear coat as a base for doing the decals. After that, it varies. You can either do a dull coat to seal the decals, do your weathering and then dull coat again or do your weathering direct onto the gloss/decal job and then dull coat. It depends on the effect you're going for and if the weathering needs to affect the decals or not.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by azcoolman »

thanks that does help im a nub so any good info is great!!..i just have to ask the right questions i think...
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Primer
Paint
Gloss Coat
Decals
Gloss coat
Pin wash
Matte coat
chipping
Matte coat
Filters
(wait a week)
Matte coat
Pastels
Abolish Alliteration
Wug

Post by Wug »

If you're starting out you might be better off buying a book because it will go into greater detail and have illustrations. Attending local model club meetings might be even more helpful.

Mike
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

That gloss coat protects the paint below - some weathering can be a bit harsh, the panel line (pinwashing) needs gloss so you can easily remove excess. Gloss coat also protects during masking secondary colors etc. as the tape is far less likely to pull up paint with a hard glosscoat.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Mad Ma.Ks

Post by Mad Ma.Ks »

Kylwell wrote:Primer
Paint
Gloss Coat
Decals
Gloss coat
Pin wash
Matte coat
chipping
Matte coat