external light blocking

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bjblasko

external light blocking

Post by bjblasko »

If you are lighting a kit and have parts of it assembled and have small light leaks, how do you take care of them? What color paint works best, and should it be brushed on or sprayed? Do you need to worry about what type of paint to use if primer (Tamiya fine) and color coats are yet to be applied?
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

The best paint for blocking light would be metallic silver/aluminum. Since the particles are actually metal, as opposed to a mineral/artificial pigment, they would block light much more effectively.

Airbrushing would be the best. Just remember to check from time to time to make sure you have a thick enough coat to do the blocking.

Kev
cliffordjones

Post by cliffordjones »

For blocking the light there are paints of some kind applied by a airbrush or other airisol method. To block the brighter light metal foils are also used.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Strips of Bare Metal Foil also work quite well.
Abolish Alliteration
Sft2

Post by Sft2 »

I use Metalizer rattlecan aluminum plate (Al), then black to catch any spots I missed. No matter which side of the plastic it's on, the Al is closer to the light (black then Al on the inside, Al then black on the outside). Any exposed Al is covered with a coat of Future to avoid rubbing off.

It's hard to really see if there are any pinhole leaks here since the deflector is so bright, but trust me, there are none :D

http://flic.kr/p/dYmwpQ
Steve

There's something unwholesome about a kit that has only 11 pieces, but 89 decals covering 90% of the surface.