A primer on primers?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

asalaw

A primer on primers?

Post by asalaw »

I'm gathering paints and such for my 1/350 TOS E and I can't find any advice here on primers. I'll be working exclusively with Tamiya acrylics. What's a good primer? Tamiya primer is like $15 for a small can, I'm hoping to do better.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

One of the best model primers I've ever used is the $1 stuff from Walmart. I think it would be a lousy primer for a (real) car due to being thin, but that's perfect for things of a small scale.

Call me crazy...

-Rog
asalaw

Post by asalaw »

Well, Walmart didn't have any primer, so I went to Michael's and got some Design Master primer. I'm going to try it out on my 1/1000 PL D7 and see what happens.
Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

I'm partial to Krylon myself.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Spray can or airbrush?
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
asalaw

Post by asalaw »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:Spray can or airbrush?
Airbrush would work too, I have one. Actually three, but I don't use the siphon-feed single action. I was hoping to economize a little with the primer but only if I can get good results. I don't want my paint coming up later when I mask.

Or just get the Tamiya spray can primer, though it's $12 a can for a pretty small can. So I'm hoping for a good primer at a better price.

In short, a great but economical spray can primer would be ideal, unless it's too thick or doesn't give good adhesion. Then I'll spring for an airbrush primer or even the Tamiya if it really is necessary and worth the difference in price.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mr. Surfacer 1000 then.

Goes on amazingly fine. Dries fast. Thins with lacquer thinner.
Abolish Alliteration
Vetter

Post by Vetter »

Rustoleum sandable automotive primer. Rattle cans can be found at walmart for 4 or 5 bucks. Goes on light, dries fast.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Vetter wrote:Rustoleum sandable automotive primer. Rattle cans can be found at walmart for 4 or 5 bucks. Goes on light, dries fast.
Has oil in the mixture to prevent rust, isn't a very good primer for what we do paint will peel away after a while.
Or so i have been told anyway. I have stayed away from it for that reason.

George
Follow Catalyst Creations on face book!
Or
On The Web!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

G-man wrote:
Vetter wrote:Rustoleum sandable automotive primer. Rattle cans can be found at walmart for 4 or 5 bucks. Goes on light, dries fast.
Has oil in the mixture to prevent rust, isn't a very good primer for what we do paint will peel away after a while.

George
It has mineral spirits, aromatic petroleum distillates, & aliphatic hydrocarbons all of which won't cause an issue. They're offset by the acetone, xylene & toluene, not to mention the butyl acetate.
Abolish Alliteration
asalaw

Post by asalaw »

Kylwell wrote:
G-man wrote:

George
It has mineral spirits, aromatic petroleum distillates, & aliphatic hydrocarbons all of which won't cause an issue. They're offset by the acetone, xylene & toluene, not to mention the butyl acetate.
I've gotten Duplicolor flat white sandable primer and have started using it on my D7. It was the only primer I could find of any sort, can you believe it? There must've been a run on primer in the DC area. :|

Anyway, it goes on light as hell. I've done 4 coats and I finally have real coverage. Which is a good thing, I hope. Anyway, so far I like it except for the fumes. OMG, the fumes. My kingdom for a non-smelly acrylic primer!
:spock:

Unfortunately, my local Ace Hardware, Fischer's, is closed pending bankruptcy litigation. The owners are suing Ace, and the bankruptcy trustee wants the business shuttered while they litigate. Best damn hardware store ever, and it's circling the drain. Half the stuff I've been hunting all over town for, they would've either had or ordered for me. Massive bummer. :cry:
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

asalaw wrote:Unfortunately, my local Ace Hardware, Fischer's, is closed pending bankruptcy litigation. ... Half the stuff I've been hunting all over town for, they would've either had or ordered for me.
I thought I was the only one... For awhile I kept going to Home Depot first because they're a huge store, they'll have everything, right? But they wouldn't have the fairly common thing I was looking for at all. Go to Ace and not only do they have it but they have four different brands to choose from. I think I've finally learned my lesson. :)

Luckily mine stays fairly busy so hopefully they'll be around for awhile. They always have hot dogs and free popcorn too, which the kids like.

Anyway, it's weird that primer seems to be the one thing almost universally out of stock at times. I remember a discussion awhile back about the Walmart brand primer (the $1 stuff), and someone's local store would get one can in and then nothing for weeks. Pays to stock up when you can I guess.

-Rog