Anyone tried the Grex Airbrushes yet?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

shotgunlebowski

Anyone tried the Grex Airbrushes yet?

Post by shotgunlebowski »

I have an iwata but i'm looking to buy something a little bigger to paint some of my larger scale models. I've been looking at the Tritium.TS.

John
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

The Grex brushes are good. The pistol grip are very comfortable to use. They're on par with Iwata, from what I gather.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

I bought a Grex (previously owned a Badger, no experience with Iwatas or Paasche). It works very well; I can lay down a nice thin line or cover a large area. The pistol-grip seems very natural to me, more like a full-size spray gun. You control the amount of paint going through (the size of the sprayed spot) by adjusting a stop screw which limits trigger movement.

I bought the side-cup one; if I were to do it again I think I'd get the top-cup version, just to make cleaning it a bit easier.

So far I'm very happy with it. After the Badger, it feels like a ballet slipper compared to an army boot.

I was able to try one at Wonderfest, where Grex had a booth. You might look around and see if you can do the same.
Devin

Post by Devin »

I have one of the Grex airbrushes; side-feed, pistol grip and trigger. I like it a lot. It works equally well shooting large areas, and you can do fine work with it as well. While it's not a true double action -- more like a one-and-a-half-action -- it has enough control for me. I still use my Sotar for very fine work, but I'm using the Grex more and more every project.
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth
joe155

GREX

Post by joe155 »

I have a Grex, I won it in a raffle at a modeling event,..I love it works very well for me, I like the pistol grip, works like a full size spray gun, Highky recommend.[/b]
Taking over the center seat Will!
jedge3

Post by jedge3 »

I have a Grex as well. I tried the Iwata and it was good but I have trouble with the double action and pressing with my finger. The pistol grip on the Grex feels more natural. I have the side feed one as well. I like it becuase I can switch the side the paint cup is on which is handy for me as a leftie. Also, you can get bigger cups to hold more paint and I think there are adaptors that let you use other style cups as well such as the Badger glass style that are suction feeds instead of gravity.

Overall I like it, I just need to practice with it more.
CaptBillD

Post by CaptBillD »

Grex videos on airbrushing for models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZrSdf7 ... 3Q&index=6
What are we running here, Number One- a cadet ship?
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

I tested one a few years back at a local show and it worked fine. Comfortable grip, shot very clean lines. I know they say their triple action but their really double. I'd sat they work as well as an Iwata.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000