Designing a spraybooth

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ulvdemon

Designing a spraybooth

Post by ulvdemon »

Morning everyone. While looking over various forums dealing with spraying paints I have come to the conclusion a person can go insane trying to filter the information on what is needed or not needed. My problem is this. I will be using my airbrush in the basement. Unfortunately since we are renting, I can not drill a hole in the side of the house to duct out the fumes and the owners where kind enough to either paint the windows shut, or they are just stuck from lack of use.
Since I will be mainly using acrylics, is there a way for me to filter the fumes so I can use a spray booth? Or am I SOL?
Current build: 1/32 Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat

Completed: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16CM<,1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM, 1/48 Revell/Monogram AH-64A, Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D, AMT 1/420 USS Defiant, AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise, 1/72 Bandai VF-1J, AMT 1/537 USS Reliant, Academy 1/35 M1-A1 Abrams, Academy 1/48 F-86F30, Linbergh's USS Gato
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

A couple years ago, I put together an article on the main site that covers just what you're looking for. We've been using the rig at various events and I use it in my basement. The design has worked very well for us.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

Hope that helps
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
ulvdemon

Post by ulvdemon »

This is what I have been looking for, was trying to remember where I saw these plans. Thank you. If you do not mind me asking, what type of paints have you used with this set up?

Completed: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16CM<,1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM, 1/48 Revell/Monogram AH-64A, Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D, AMT 1/420 USS Defiant, AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise, 1/72 Bandai VF-1J, AMT 1/537 USS Reliant, Academy 1/35 M1-A1 Abrams, Academy 1/48 F-86F30, Linbergh's USS Gato
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

I use primarily acrylics but when we first built the indoor filter can, we shot a rattle can full of lacquer paint straight into the booth (not the whole can but a fair amount). The filter worked very effectively. I wouldn't make a habit of regularly shooting lacquers with this setup but it works great with the acrylics.

One note: you have to be careful with the type of paint when using the type of fan we used. Since it's just a generic bathroom type exhaust fan, there's a risk of igniting the paint fumes from motor generated sparks in the airflow. There's little risk of this when using acrylics but with enamels and lacquers, the risk is elevated. As I said, we shot a can of lacquer through the rig and nothing happened but that's not to say it couldn't.

I'm working on a new design that should reduce the risk even further but I haven't had a chance to build it yet.
Pat A.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

We had the first filter can hooked to Dan's 375cfm booth and was shooting Alclad II with no fumes. The can really does the trick for indoor spraying.
Abolish Alliteration
ulvdemon

Post by ulvdemon »

As my Drill SGt use to say.... "Much Gooder" thanks for the information.

bnoisy2

Post by bnoisy2 »

I have looked at the pdf many times and still trying to verify how the carbon filter fits into the bucket. I can't tell for sure if it is stuffed up against the bucket/holes drilled in the bucket or just mixed in with the furnace filter.

Can someone please clarify this.

A picture of a bucket with the lid off would be most helpful if this is possible.

Thanks,

Bruce
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The charcoal filters wedge between the furnace filters and the holes. They wedge rather than glue so they can be removed.
Abolish Alliteration
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Here's a pic of the filter can we built. It should give you some idea of how it went together.
Pat A.
bnoisy2

Post by bnoisy2 »

thanks for the clarification and the pic