Micro Sol Help Needed

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Micro Sol Help Needed

Post by Callandor »

What is the best way to get decals to fit down into grooves using microsol? I am working on a model with a bunch of grooves and grid lines. I am using Micro Set prior to placing the decal and Micro Sol after it is placed. I tried using a tissue to gently press the decal into the grooves, but the decal just ended up sticking to the tissue. Should I slice the decal along the grooves and apply more Micro Sol? What is the best method?
loenen

Post by loenen »

What I always do is:
- Apply the decal using microset
- Wait for it to dry (use some tissue to remove excess microset)
- Apply a generous amount of microsol
- Just wait. Don't touch it at this point because the decal gets very soft.
- At some point magic happens and the decal forms to the surface. (Sometimes I apply a second layer of microsol when the 1st one is dry and the result is not super yet)

I am not sure if it will work on very extreme grooves/bumps, but so far this has worked for me.

Good luck!!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Apply small amounts of Microsol over the course of several hours. Some decals are stiffer than others. I've had ones that took about 6 hours to lay down. If that fails, find some Walthers Solvaset. It's the most aggressive setting solution known.
Abolish Alliteration
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I use MicroSet and Sol in combinations like those described above. I've had success tamping down decals soaked with MicroSol with q-tips even while wet; you have to be very careful though as it does soften the decal film and they can easily tear.
For really stiff decals or odd surface features I've ocassionally had to use Walthers Solvaset but be judicious with it's use especially if you are putting decals down over an acrylic coating like Future as Solvaset can eat away at it.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

If a decal has been sitting for a day or two and I discover places where it is not quite laying down, is it beneficial to apply some more Micro Sol or is that just a fruitless gesture? I don't usually have more than an hour or two at a time to devote to model building, so I can't really apply multiple coats over the course of a day. It would have be over the course of a week.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It can. If it's a bubble, prick it with a sharp pin then apply. I've found about every 10-15 minutes works. Gives the solvent time to sink in before you hit it again. Over the course of a few hours it'll take care of all but the worse decals. Using this method you can even apply decals to matte finishes w/o silvering.
Abolish Alliteration