Painting Bandai pilot figure

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Salamander

Painting Bandai pilot figure

Post by Salamander »

I'm working on a Bandai Gasaraki kit, and it comes with two pilot figures that are made from a rubbery, flesh-colored soft plastic. The seams on the figures are a pain to clean up and are slightly sticky.

Last time I tried to paint figures like this with Tamiya acrylics and Humbrol enamels the paint had a hard time sticking to the figures. :(

Besides thoroughly washing with detergent them before painting, are there any other things I should do to get the paint to stick? Should I apply primer?
Salamander
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Hit them with a good primer first, then paint.
Abolish Alliteration
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Not tried painting these yet, but a trick to painting the flexible polythene figures (Airfix, Revell etc) is to:

1. Was thoroughly in detergent and rinse
2. Mix some white glue (Elmers or Evostick) with water so its a milky consistancy. Paint onto the figure. As it dries it shrinks rto a felexible skin.
3. Then a good undercoat
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Salamander

Post by Salamander »

Okay, thanks! I'll try that on the sitting pilot first - he's mostly hidden when the kit's finished so problems won't show up as clearly.
Salamander
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

These are PVC figures, and they are painful to clean and paint (as you experienced). What you should do:

- clean thoroughly before putting any paint on
- use an acryllic/water-based primer as a base coat
- use acryllic/water-based paint for finishing

While the primer might allow enamels to be used, you cannot be certain that in the long run the PVC softener reacts with the oil-based enamel.

Even after the paint dries up, the figuer remains touchy due to its softness. Handle with care, since the paint easily peels off or becomes damaged.

I know why I HATE vinyl figures of any sort... :wasted:
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu