Questions about old decals.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Callandor

Questions about old decals.

Post by Callandor »

1. Should I use Decal Bonder on old decals that have yellowed? Will the bonder lock in any of the yellow glue?

2. Is there a good way to loosen old decals that are stuck to the decal paper? I have some old decals that get stuck to the paper in places and cause the decals to rip. Should I just soak them longer? Will they still adhere?
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I don't know about putting decal bonder on old decals. But when they stick to the backing paper, yes, you can just soak them a little longer. Try warm water, with a drop of dish soap in.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Against yellowing, you can simply use some tape and pin the decals into your southside window and have them bleached. Takes some time, but it works and does the decal itself no harm.

Normally, even vintage decals keep their integrity, but I had the case with (very old) ESCI decals that they literally crumpled and fell apart when i soaked them. A coat of varnish (and thorough dyring) before you soak them will help here.

If the decals tend to be very hard to get off of the carrier sheet when soaking them, I agree with Badwrench: use warm water and lots of patience. It can take very long to get the decal floating, but it should still work fine and adhere to the kit surface, even though some decal softener and a varnish coat later should help improving adhesion in place.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu