Custom print decals?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tommy8008

Custom print decals?

Post by Tommy8008 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:10 am

Any one know any where to get 1 sheet of custom decals printed? I have the image ready to go, just need a good vendor that won't charge the earth.

I know you can get decal paper to do it yourself, but I want a quality print done, and my printer isn't up to the task, as I've tried and failed.

UK preferably.

DaveVan

Re: Custom print decals?

Post by DaveVan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:24 am

Is a white underlay needed??? If not take your art and paper to a store that has a laser printer and have them print. What file format are you using??? A JPG will not look good no matter what method of printer.
30,000 miles on Amtrak in words and pics...
http://www.currtail.com

Tommy8008

Post by Tommy8008 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am

I forgot I made this thread haha.

The image format is png and white is in the print, hence.

I don't know anywhere around here that has a laser printer to print it out. I suppose I could ask Google.

DaveVan

Post by DaveVan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:03 am

A PNG file will not give great results from any printer. Also if you need white print then you must print on white decal paper as even a laser will not print white. Kinda involved or pay someone with a working ALPS printer to create art and print it right.
30,000 miles on Amtrak in words and pics...
http://www.currtail.com

Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Tommy8008 wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:10 am
Any one know any where to get 1 sheet of custom decals printed? I have the image ready to go, just need a good vendor that won't charge the earth.

I know you can get decal paper to do it yourself, but I want a quality print done, and my printer isn't up to the task, as I've tried and failed.

UK preferably.
Let me know when you find this Holy Grail.
Procrastination is a dish best served eventually.

Tommy8008

Post by Tommy8008 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:17 pm

DaveVan wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:03 am
A PNG file will not give great results from any printer. Also if you need white print then you must print on white decal paper as even a laser will not print white. Kinda involved or pay someone with a working ALPS printer to create art and print it right.
Shame. The image is quite complicated, it's a football club badge, so I guess it'll be too much. Cheers anyway.
Stu Pidasso wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:30 pm
Let me know when you find this Holy Grail.
The search goes on.

naoto

Post by naoto » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:08 am

There are laser printers that print white
http://www.okidata.com/printers/color/c711wt
(but a tad pricey at around $3400)

With regards to artwork -- it's best if you create the image in a "vector-type" or "object-type" format (i.e. using a "draw" type program like Corel, Illustrator, etc) rather than a raster type format (i.e. using a "paint" type program). If you do use a raster format, keep in mind that printers are likely to have at least 3x the dot resolution of a video display (a typical video resolution is around 96~120dpi while most printers are 300dpi in the lowest resolution mode). What this means is if you print an image dot-for-dot, what fills up your monitor is likely to be about the size of a postage stamp on paper. Another potential "gotcha" is when dot pitch might not be the same in vertical and horizontal directions (i.e. pixels aren't square -- an often-cited example where this caused problems was the Starfury from Babylon 5).
Naoto Kimura
木村直人