Dremel 100

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ulvdemon

Dremel 100

Post by ulvdemon »

Is anyone using a Dremel 100 for any aspect of their build? I have a chance to pick one up, but if it is pointless to have, no sense in getting it.
Current build: 1/32 Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat

Completed: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16CM<,1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM, 1/48 Revell/Monogram AH-64A, Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D, AMT 1/420 USS Defiant, AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise, 1/72 Bandai VF-1J, AMT 1/537 USS Reliant, Academy 1/35 M1-A1 Abrams, Academy 1/48 F-86F30, Linbergh's USS Gato
Reichardt, KoG

Post by Reichardt, KoG »

Howdy; been using Dremels for yahrens; not sure which model the 100 is (the battery powered portable?!- if so, GOOD!), but I'll tender some general advice.

IF you've used the 110 volt versions before, you may know that a speed controller is vital!.
The newer, more expensive Dremels come with one built into the handle, and lets you use the lower speed (lower for plastics - the high speed melts the plastic, you see...).
If no speed controller built in, go buy one, or borrow one...try to use a controller that matches the voltage range of the Mototool, or you'll get pretty blue electrical flames around your body, like I did when I used an old sewing machine foot control for a basic Mototool, yahrens ago! :shock:

I stated earlier, that the battery powered Dremel is good; in my experience, it was easier to hold/control. The built in speed range cut plastic without melting, ver efficiently (it had a good 'feel' to it, hard to describe), AND the new fangled battery rechargeable battery packs lasted MUCH longer than I'd hoped! (get two packs, or three, then no work interruptions for battery charging, eh?).

Please advise further, with more details, eh? I'm always interested in helping, and I also like to hear about a new device (in case the Model 100 is not what I'm visualizing).

HTH, Ya'll!
"Melange' still races!"
X-3
ulvdemon

Post by ulvdemon »

Looks to be this one:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages ... 100+Series

Oddly enough, it's on clearance at the Wal Mart near my job so I am considering getting it. Thanks for the information.
Current build: 1/32 Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat

Completed: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16CM<,1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM, 1/48 Revell/Monogram AH-64A, Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D, AMT 1/420 USS Defiant, AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise, 1/72 Bandai VF-1J, AMT 1/537 USS Reliant, Academy 1/35 M1-A1 Abrams, Academy 1/48 F-86F30, Linbergh's USS Gato
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

It's only 1 speed? Forget it. No wonder it's on clearance.
Reichardt, KoG

Post by Reichardt, KoG »

Looks good; at a clearance price, I'd say go ahead!

Most Dremels give you one or two bits with the drill, but look around there at the display for Dremel accessories; you can also buy them (at varying prices) in many model stores (realworld, and online).
I like their 'cut off discs' (a thin disc of emery material mounted on a shank, with a screw; you can replace the disc as it wears, or BREAKS, so wear eye protection, man! :)

NOTE that they state it's ONLY ONE SPEED - 35,000 rpm will melt most all plastics, so you'll need that speed control!
Fortunately, the price of the speed controller is offset by the WallyWorld sale price!

IMHO - a good step up in basic tools for your shop.

OH, and watch out for that parting wish; I got many a kit about, and ...I think they are beginning to reproduce on their own, at night........ :shock:
"Melange' still races!"
X-3
Tony Agustin

Re: Dremel 100

Post by Tony Agustin »

ulvdemon wrote:Is anyone using a Dremel 100 for any aspect of their build? I have a chance to pick one up, but if it is pointless to have, no sense in getting it.
I'd recommend getting a Dremel Stylus. It's smaller and not awkard to handle:
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages ... x?pid=1100
I went for years using the big corded Dremels and found that this little cordless Stylus (which I bought on an experimental whim) has pretty much displaced them all in most operations.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Tony Agustin wrote: I'd recommend getting a Dremel Stylus. It's smaller and not awkard to handle:
I went for years using the big corded Dremels and found that this little cordless Stylus (which I bought on an experimental whim) has pretty much displaced them all in most operations.
I"ve heard that there are issues with the battery on the Dremel Stylus.

Is that the case?

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Tchail wrote:
Tony Agustin wrote: I'd recommend getting a Dremel Stylus. It's smaller and not awkard to handle:
I"ve heard that there are issues with the battery on the Dremel Stylus.

Is that the case?

-Tchail
I haven't had any problems with it since 2006 and it's still holding a strong charge. I haven't heard of any battery issues with it.
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

I have the Dremel Multipro with variable speed adjustment. I have this one mounted to the drill press accessory, and use it as a lathe for small details with a mandril bit.

I recommend a Dremel with a variable speed.

I also have the Stylus.... awesome little tool. I never had any issues with the battery.

Forget about the one speed Dremel at Walmart. Get a variable speed Dremel, you'll be thankful for purchasing that type of Dremel.
aussie muscle

Post by aussie muscle »

i got one with the built in speed controller. the newer ones are better, they at least go slow enough to use with plastic, unlike my first one which even on it's slowest speed was way to fast (and useless on full speed).

i've found a lot of non-dremel bits will fit if you get a couple different sized collets.
"Look at Walter [Koenig], after Star Trek, he became an actor!" - Phillip Fry, Futurama.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

scratchy wrote:I have the Dremel Multipro with variable speed adjustment. I have this one mounted to the drill press accessory, and use it as a lathe for small details with a mandril bit.
So that's how you make all your magic happen. Clever and very sneaky Scratchy!
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

Glorfindel wrote:So that's how you make all your magic happen. Clever and very sneaky Scratchy!
That's just one of many tools :D
qaz555
Spammer - Locked

Post by qaz555 »

:spam: