Which is better? Pen vice or dremal?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

chiver

Which is better? Pen vice or dremal?

Post by chiver »

I have 0.25mm FO and just saw the post on which size bit to use, now I always read that people use pen vice's . Now I don't have one but I do have a dremal, is it better to use a pen vice?
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!!!
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

First, it's pin vice... And Dremel while we're at it. ;) That will probably help if you want to search around for what others have done.

Second, it just depends on what you're comfortable with. A pin vice is very precise and easy to control, but it does take more time. A Dremel is fast, but takes a lot of practice to be as precise without carving half your model away before you can blink.

Me? I like a pin vice for stuff like that. But for me modeling is about the journey rather than how fast I get to the destination.

-Rog
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Say both were equally "controllable," there are times when you don't want the Dremel. Even on slow speeds, sometimes the Dremel can melt softer styrene. On the flip side, the Dremel can be great for really hard stuff.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

The issue with such a fine drill, will be binding.
If it sticks or catches at all while using a dremel it will break.
If you bend it even a little off center while using a pin vise, the drill will break.

A pin vise is a really cheap investment, and if it doesn't prove useful for this
project, it will certainly prove it's worth over time.

:)
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Agreed. Get both. A pin vice isn't a huge investment and is a useful tool for projects requiring a more delicate touch. A dremel may cost more but is versitile and can used for more than drilling. But as the warnings say, its easy to end up melting what you are working on even if set to a slow speed....
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
aussie muscle

Post by aussie muscle »

tonyG2 wrote:Agreed. Get both..
+1
"Look at Walter [Koenig], after Star Trek, he became an actor!" - Phillip Fry, Futurama.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

aussie muscle wrote:
tonyG2 wrote:Agreed. Get both..
+1
+2
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Rogviler wrote:First, it's pin vice...
...and while we're correcting people, it's pin vise. A vice is something like drinking or gambling.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Depending on the job you'll find that having both are good. I just ran into a situation where I had to use both. Pin vise for starting up a hole using a small diameter bit and the Dremel for finishing it up.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Vice is correct. Just not if you live in the US... ;)

-Rog
starsend

Post by starsend »

For precision, the pin vise. But for some projects you will need a Dremel. I'm lighting a DS9 kit with several hundred windows and there is no way you'll ever be able to do it by hand. So I would say get both and the Dremel will be great at many other tasks, too!