How to work with broken posts?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Matt1982

How to work with broken posts?

Post by Matt1982 »

The make and female posts that connect the model together. What should one to in such a case?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Usually you can drill out the post if it's stuck in the hole, then drill a hole into the other side & replace with sprue or tubing.

Or if it's not structural just ignore it and glue it together as most are simple locating tabs to help line everything up.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kylwell wrote:Usually you can drill out the post if it's stuck in the hole, then drill a hole into the other side & replace with sprue or tubing.

Or if it's not structural just ignore it and glue it together as most are simple locating tabs to help line everything up.
Rob makes an excellent point regarding locating tabs. On some older kits, the pins are a hindrance, hurting the fit and alignment. You'll find yourself cutting them off and adding sheet styrene along the inside lip of the build to use as a guide instead.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Yes, the only time I care about the locating pin/s & matching holes, is if it helps with getting more than two parts to line up at the same time because its a complicated assembly that doesn't permit gluing one part to the sub-assembly at a time. E.g. the 3 hull parts to the TWA Starliner kit. Otherwise, if I break a pin or two, and they don't contribute to getting good alignment, I ignore it.