CAD Advice

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tonzye

Post by Tonzye »

G-man wrote:Tonzye,
Most if not all rapid prototyping agencies, with exception to Sketch up, HATE receiving files that were created in Sketchup.
So many issues with that program when exporting to STL its not even funny.
Is it possible to work around them? Yes...
Is it worth the trouble for the work around?
Not in my opinion.

Just my two cents :)
George
Hay George,
Thats the first ide heard of that about Sketchup. I was making a point of how the plugin Cad Span gets those Sketchup files ready to use in a prototyper. If you have had the problems with Sketchup you mentioned you might want to check out Cadspan to see if it resolves them . Theres a free trial period for it .
I know theres lots of other programs out there that can do a great job...I was just thinking of those who work with a limited budget
T
All hope was lost. However one person, one man, dared to stand up and lead an entire revolution on his own. His name was V. In honor of V, always remember, remember the 5th of November!
G-man

Post by G-man »

Fair enough.
I use other programs i have had for years to do my prototyping work.
The sketchup issues i mentioned are from having to clean up files that were done in sketchup for printing, and talking with prototypers about them.

If the program works as advertised though, then sure why not go for it. I know everyone cannot afford 5-10 grand modeling applications, and i would hate for someones creativity and imagination to be stifled due to funding issues.

George
Follow Catalyst Creations on face book!
Or
On The Web!