Tamiya drill or multi tool?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

muir318

Tamiya drill or multi tool?

Post by muir318 »

Hello guys

I am wondering if anyone has used the tamiya drill( The one you build and can use) And is it of any use? Do you get drill bits supplied with it also?

Also i was looking at the tamiya drill chuck! Is this good for use also?How does this work?

As i am on a budget i can't really afford to buy a dremel etc at the moment so i was thinking of these as an alternative for drilling holes in my republic star destroyer for my fiber optics!

i did see a dremel type multi tool at a good price on ebay and was possibly considering that also.The brand is "silver line" Has anyone used one of these and is it good for this type of job?

All help and info would be great and thanks in advance for all answers
Underlord

Post by Underlord »

I don't have the Tamiya drill, but I've heard good things about it. Kinda cool to build your tool, then use it!

If you are in the US, check to see if you have a Harbor Freight tools in your area. They sell motorized tools like a dremel for super cheap. They also sell all the bits and pin vices.

I've got a couple of these on my build list, but haven't done much research yet. Have you chosen a size of fiberoptic?

Good luck, and happy building!
Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, if it lasts more than 4 hours, see a doctor. All prosecutors will be violated. Only fools are certain. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. The best advice I ever received was "Don't take anyone's advice. Listen to what everyone says, then make up your own damned mind."
muir318

Post by muir318 »

Hi underlord
Thanks for the reply. Im still weighing up the 3 drills but i may wait for more info on here if anyone has used them.

I live in sweden now but originally from scotland(Edinburgh).
I tend to buy my things on ebay as its MUCH cheaper to do it that way than buy here in sweden things generally cost 3 times as much here:(

I haven't decided on the fiber optic size yet but if you care to suggest a size for my build and drill bit size to go along with the fiber size feel free as i am always open to advice being new to the hobby.It was a child hood passion of mine but i am now 40 so i have a lot of catching up to do:)
Underlord

Post by Underlord »

there is a thread here about the subject of fiber size already.

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... oyer+fiber

If you want inexpensive, you can't beat a manual pin vice. You may get hand cramps with all those holes, but you'll have good control over each and every one of them.

I've also seen people use a drill press if you can get access to one that someone else owns :)

I've got a dremel with the goose neck extension, and even though it's got a great reputation, I think it spins the bits way too fast. I'd be conserned about the quality of the tamiya, but BadGrendles has shown that he uses one in his videos, so it can't be that bad.

Whatever you get, take your time and you will rock it!
Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, if it lasts more than 4 hours, see a doctor. All prosecutors will be violated. Only fools are certain. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. The best advice I ever received was "Don't take anyone's advice. Listen to what everyone says, then make up your own damned mind."