Recommend a pin vise

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Captain Riker

Recommend a pin vise

Post by Captain Riker »

I bought an inexpensive pin vise set with various bits. The bits seem fine but the handle just ant hold onto the bits. What would be agood pin vise? I see some in the $100 range. I'm mostly doing tiny holes for fiber.

Thanks!
Last edited by Captain Riker on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Have a look at Model Expo, they have great tools.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product ... O=SN8403SD
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

A 4 piece machinist pin vice is what I'd recommend. 4 sizes, very sturdy. I've had one for over 10 years and I've worn the smallest one out, it'll no longer hold the No. 80s but other than that it's still good.

Micromark sells one but my experience hasn't been good. The chuck doesn't have a long enough bite and the bits wobble. It looks like they may have changed to a different vendor from their image http://www.micromark.com/4-piece-machin ... ,7764.html

The Starette is probably overkill but it'll last forever http://littlemachineshop.com/products/p ... uctID=3881
Abolish Alliteration
Captain Riker

Post by Captain Riker »

Ok, went with the one from Micromark... Of course I spent way too much more while I was there :?

What could be the difference in a Vise to warrant a $100 price tag??

Thanks for the tips.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I love Games Workshop's pin vise. It's got this nice rubber pommel that doesn't hurt my palm when I use it, and it has four heads built in with a box of several 1/32" bits. A bit big for your use, but you can't beat it for comfort. It will hold #80 bits, too. :8)
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

$100.00 pin vise..... :shock:
I think I paid $8.00 for a jewelers pin vice that can hold bits in sizes .0 - 2.5mm. 2.5mm hole makes that a pretty big danged window in this hobby.
For $100.00 bucks buy a Filet Mignon dinner at your favorite restaurant.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The tapered collet, found on the Starette, better grips the bits but is costly to machine. Hence the $20. $80 for the set of 4.
Abolish Alliteration