How would i go about deconstructing a part glued model?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

muir318

How would i go about deconstructing a part glued model?

Post by muir318 »

Hello guys,
Today i received the star destroyer i ordered on ebay after a one and a half month wait for it!
After i opened the package i discovered the main hull has been built and very poorly at that..
This obviously wasn't described in the auction! BUT i have received a refund in full from the seller so all was well there.
So my question is... How would i go about deconstructing this glued hull and sidewalls? If i actually can And what tools etc would i need?

Thanks in advance for all answers
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

There's a whole sticky-thread devoted to this

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... hp?t=34285
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

I think I read in that thread a while ago that sticking the model in the freezer helps shrink the plastic a fraction and makes fragile the bond. Never tried it but it makes sense.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Are both top and bottom pieces of the hull glued in place?????
Normal?? What is normal??
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

Glorfindel wrote:I think I read in that thread a while ago that sticking the model in the freezer helps shrink the plastic a fraction and makes fragile the bond. Never tried it but it makes sense.
That would have been my advise, too. Put the kit in a refrigerator, cool it down thoroughly, and see how the glue areas behave. They should become much more brittle and weak, so that less force is needed to separate the pieces.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
cokefiend

Post by cokefiend »

how about a resin kit built with ca glue? I need to pry apart some resin pieces.
"what about please and thank you?"
"I think they killed each other, y'know, one of those murder/suicide things." HS
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

A razor saw works in a lot of cases. Also the scribe-n-pop method works just as well for deconstruction as it does for cutting sheet styrene or resin.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
b8factor

Post by b8factor »

You are probably correct on it being more difficult than I think, however I have carved a few things before similar so i think i can pull it off.

Renshape seems like the right stuff to use from what I have read about it. Any recomendations on density grade in order to carve by hand but still be fine to make mold of when done?

I will also need to buy some wood working tools I guess, proably better buy a wood working book to get some pointers.

Typicaly when i do is band saw out the overhead shape and then work form outside in on sanding and cutting to my specs. I have this ship is full 3d modeling applicaton and can rotate and zoom to any level.

If I had enough money i would just have some capmany with the right robot take the 3d model and whip it out! I do not know for sure but i think that would cost a few grand which is way ot of my budget! If any of you have exspereicne with this please let me know, :)

-Billy