Epoxy wont cure?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jonle

Epoxy wont cure?

Post by jonle »

Used some delvcon 5min. epoxy on my build last night and the stuff still hasn't set up. What should I do? Do I have to take it all apart and clean it ? :(
Trekkin in cowboy country
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

Most likely. Denatured alcohol works well and won't hurt plastic. Was the epoxy package old?
jonle

Post by jonle »

No its not old I just used it on something else and it worked great. Just used a hair dryer and heated it up I think I'll give some time before I have to tear it apart. And when I heated it it seemed to discolor has anyone experienced this?
jonle

Epoxy problems

Post by jonle »

Do you guys think I should let it sit for a few days? Think it may cure over extended period?
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

If your ratio was just off, sometimes epoxy will cure eventually if you let it sit. But if you didn't mix it enough so that there are pockets of separate components then it will never harden.

Some epoxies are more finicky than others, too. I remember using some that I think was made by Mig and if the ratio wasn't perfect down to the molecule then it would stay rubbery. On the other hand, stuff like JB Weld seems pretty forgiving.

Go ahead and give it a couple days, but after that I'd get to scraping.

-Rog
jonle

Post by jonle »

Well had to scrape and scrub that crap off what a pain thanks for the advice guys:-)