Durham's water putty molds.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

merkin63
Location: Hooterville,KY Where the men are men and the sheep are afraid!

Durham's water putty molds.

Post by merkin63 »

I have used this a lot for open molds because it is far cheaper than using my RTV for short term molding but since it is water based you have to spray a non water based clear coat before molding.I want to use this to make some small one time clear parts using 2 part clear store bought epoxy resin but wondered if anyone knew what would be best to use as a mold release for the 2 part epoxy.I am only doing this once because I don't want to waste my RTV on a one time project and clear acrylic resin is not cheap.I know that clear 2 part epoxy can yellow over time but that won't be a huge problem because colored leds will be embedded in the expoxy.Thanks for any help or ideas. :~D
CALL of DUTY: MW 20, The V.A.Nursing Home!
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

I would try a clear coat paint. It's clear, and still provides the release needed to get the part out of the mold.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
merkin63
Location: Hooterville,KY Where the men are men and the sheep are afraid!

Post by merkin63 »

Thanks,I am going to test this for sure and will use an enamel based clear like glosscoat on the cured glass like smooth Durhams water putty.I don't know about future acrylic floor polish but I know if Durhams is not sealed even after curing anything that is water based will cause it to break down.I'm wondering if the 2 part epoxy will attack the clear coat?:~D
CALL of DUTY: MW 20, The V.A.Nursing Home!