Putty post primer error

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Distancegrabber

Putty post primer error

Post by Distancegrabber »

So I am making my first model in about 30 years. I am making a Moebius Viper Mark II (pristine version).

So my question. I used putty to fill in some of the seams on the model. Did the sanding and all that then primed it when done. Now I see I did not sand enough and I have to either just let the mistake stand or go back and re-sand it. Is it ok to sand it then re-prime that area or am I locked into my mistake?

Thanks.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

You can resand the area and reprime, that's one of the reasons you prime afterwards to see if there are any mistakes or areas that need some more attention.

A word of caution - you didn't say how you applied the primer, if you primed the entire model via spray can you want to be careful and not apply too much primer over the entire model, otherwise you'll start to hide details.

What I've done is to mask around the are(s) that need repriming so I don't have to respray the entire model, if the primer makes a small ridge at the tape line it can be lightly sanded to remove it and you're ready for the finish coats.

Ken
Distancegrabber

Post by Distancegrabber »

kenlilly106 wrote:You can resand the area and reprime, that's one of the reasons you prime afterwards to see if there are any mistakes or areas that need some more attention.

A word of caution - you didn't say how you applied the primer, if you primed the entire model via spray can you want to be careful and not apply too much primer over the entire model, otherwise you'll start to hide details.

What I've done is to mask around the are(s) that need repriming so I don't have to respray the entire model, if the primer makes a small ridge at the tape line it can be lightly sanded to remove it and you're ready for the finish coats.

Ken
Thanks for the info, it really helps out allot.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Good gosh, I had one project that I sanded, filled, sanded, filled, sanded,
primed, sanded, filled, sanded primed sanded, then when I was happy with it,
I checked the referance photos.

At that point I realized I needed to add to angled supports, and nine service ladder rungs.
So I sanded the primer and filler away from the solder points, fluxed,
soldered, filed excess solder, filled sanded, primer, sanded, filled, sanded,
primered sanded and then final primer. I was so happy...

Then someone pointed out that the reference photo was taken from the deck of
the "Pacific", and not "of the Pacific". So I had to add another platform for fog horns.... LOL

:shock:

Sand and prime away, but be cautious of build up if it is a "detailed" part.
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

The "prime, putty, sand, repeat" cycle is notorious among modellers. In a recent study, 102% of those polled said it was their least favorite part of building. :D
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Further use of priming, sanding, puttying, sanding, priming, cussing, spilling of beverage, knocking over of solvents, sanding again has been known to cause nausea, asthma, hot flashes, elbow rashes, uncontrollable bowel movements, headaches, and gout. 9 out of 10 Doctors prefer gambling at the horse track over modeling.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
shotgunlebowski

Post by shotgunlebowski »

What putty were you using though.. If it's squadron and you are filling seems likely it will shrink after a few months.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

shotgunlebowski wrote:What putty were you using though.. If it's squadron and you are filling seems likely it will shrink after a few months.
Good point. Squadron Green putty is an especially notorious shrinker. Squadron White seems to be a little less susceptible to shrinkage, but nowadays if I have a lot of bodywork to do I use Milliput White two-part epoxy putty, with maybe a touch of Squadron White to fill pinholes at the very last stage. The two-part epoxy putties (Aves is another good one) don't shrink at all.

Model car builders also use two-part polyester automotive glazing putty (Evercoat is one brand) for bodywork. (It's like a finer-grained Bondo.)
homyakchik

Post by homyakchik »

And... of course, after searching on my problem, finding nada that seemed to touch exactly on it, and replying to a couple of threads, I find this thread--which pretty much answers my question too. Argh. Granted, it's not primer I'm sanding away but 'base' coat, but I guess what applies applies.

Now I just need to figure out how to seal and smooth those frackin' hairline crack patterns.

Thanks all!

Davey