3d Printing - Where to Begin?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tchail

3d Printing - Where to Begin?

Post by Tchail »

Last year I got on a kick and did a bunch of 3d modelling.

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg12 ... modelling/

I just returned from a conference where they were showing off 3d printing systems.

And so I started thinking how cool it would be have some of these models made as 3d objects.

But I don't know where to begin.

What software is the best? I hear that most 3d printers use the .stl file format.

How much resolution should be built into the model?

(Most of the models I had built were purposely made lo-resolution to make it easier to import into game-type programs - so I know I will have to go in and add more detail.)

Any pitfalls to be aware of when constructing the 3d model? (Such as the necessity for 'closed' objects, and the fact that a 'merge verticies' function doesn't always close an object.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
G-man

Post by G-man »

PM me with an e-mail address / phone number and i'll give you a crash course :)

George
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

Thanks George!

PM sent.

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy