I Hate F*&%!# Super Glue!!!!

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Airdave

I Hate F*&%!# Super Glue!!!!

Post by Airdave »

Anyone else ever have this problem?

I sit down to work tonight and my thick super glue has thinned to the consistency of water. It will not adhere to anything. I can't even glue my fingers together!! :evil: Zip kicker has no effect on it. Tried shaking it, no dice. Does this sound like a bad batch?

I have nothing but problems with modeling glues. Either the cap clogs or the glue dries up before I can use half of it. I've even tried using a sealed cap to store it, but to no effect. I'm just sick and tired of paying $5 for glue that doesn't work or dries before I can get any use out of it.

What kind of glue do you guys use? I use Tenax on styrene, super glue mainly resin and vinyl.
Airdave
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Styrene - Ambroid or Tenax
Resin - Super-glue - but get a good brand, not a nameless or "hobby-shop" branded - I stick with Loctite - they have everything from super-thin to black
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I've stopped buying the large bottles of CA. Half of it goes bad before I can finish using it. I blame the cats.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Mad-Modeler

Post by Mad-Modeler »

Plastic cement, wood-glue, 2-part epoxy for the most parts.

CA I use very sparingly and only of one make(Wave), I also found it tends to be more problem than help. NEVER use a kicker myself not needed with the glues I use as they are also non-fogging.
Richard Baker

Post by Richard Baker »

I jsut do not trust Superglues- they work for a while but can just let go or sheer with applied stress, or jsut when they decide to. For resin kits I use two part epoxy- it is a mess but it does last.
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
Devin

Post by Devin »

I use superglue for women's nail extensions. They come in small bottles, so you use them before they go bad, and I buy the hypo-allergenic brands, as they do not put off any fumes or fogging. Pick them up at the drugstore in the nail polish and emeryboard section.
"Just slow it down. I'll shoot Hitler out the window."
-Professor Farnsworth
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Gorilla CA or Mercury Adhesives are the only CA I buy anymore (since I can no longer get the Wave stuff). Better quality and nozzles that don't clog up.

I've never heard of CA breaking down but that sure sounds like what's happened. Get ye to the hardware store and find a bottle of Gorilla Impact Tough formula CA.
Abolish Alliteration
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Airdave wrote:I Hate F*&%!# Super Glue!!!!
So stop F*&%!#ing it!

What? :P
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Stu Pidasso wrote:
Airdave wrote:I Hate F*&%!# Super Glue!!!!
So stop F*&%!#ing it!
Once you start, it's difficult to get away from.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Airdave

Post by Airdave »

Thanks for the response, guys!!

You know, there's a smartass in every crowd, and in this one it's Stu! :P

After researching it, I think I'm going to give Gorilla Super glue a try. Thanks Kylwell!

I usually have epoxy on hand, but it doesn't set fast enough for me. I like to glue things and move on, not set them aside for hours. :roll:
Airdave
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

I just do not trust Superglues- they work for a while but can just let go or sheer with applied stress, or jsut when they decide to.
Agreed. There are times I will use it out of desperation but I have absolutely no faith that I won't find the model has fallen apart a few days/weeks/months later.

At least with a styrene glue you can have a little trust that the surface of the two parts have melted and bonded together.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Richard Baker wrote:I jsut do not trust Superglues- they work for a while but can just let go or sheer with applied stress, or jsut when they decide to. For resin kits I use two part epoxy- it is a mess but it does last.
More the reason for rubber impregnated CA. Tougher, stronger, faster... we can rebuild it. *dadadadaaah dadadadadedadadadaaaa bum bumbumbabum*
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Here's a trick. Use mechanical supports whenever you can - pin parts, even small parts. Use epoxy putty or adhesive in the fastener joint. Place the parts together and use a tiny amount of CA to lock the joint while the epoxy cures. Best of both worlds!
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Guess I've got the right aura or something, the various glues work just fine for me.
Airdave wrote:You know, there's a smartass in every crowd,
Well, like we say in our family, better to be a smartass than a dumbass.
Even if it does wipe out your chances of winning a Darwin Award.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

Coming in late to the party here, but I've gotta throw in my vote for the Gorilla CA glue. One thing that I absolutely love is the fact that the tip doesn't clog. The bane of my work for some time was messing around with straight pins trying to clear a jam out of the nozzle from a tube of Krazy glue..
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

I have the same joy with the Loctite CA's - super-thin, thick, black - I've never had a clog in any of them - and some of the bottles I have are running on 2-3 years of usage
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
jowman

Post by jowman »

I use Zap-a-gap all of the time, and the only problem I have had is trying to take something back apart.
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

Bump one more for Gorilla CA. Picked up a bottle and as soon as I got home, I broke the handle on my favorite coffee mug. :cry: Never fear, Gorilla glue is here. That stuff holds tight. I have never had much luck with getting ceramic to hold with regular super glue. So, I feel confident enough to start my first resin model. Tried it on some death star tiles I have been intending to use for a base.

It's easy to use, bonds quickly, but not so quickly that you don't have time to work with it, and, once it grabs, it doesn't let go. :8)
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I've had CA go bad on me many times. Especially the Bob Smith stuff, (That's the "local hobby shop" brand). It's exactly as you describe, they just lose their adhesive properties. Kylwell uses Mercury Adhesives CA, and I like that stuff much better. But my problem is I'm allergic to most super glues, so I can only use the oderless kind. Which means I'm pretty much stuck with Bob Smith, (no pun intended).

To prevent the tip from clogging, I don't use it. I just take the cap off, put a small puddle in an old milk cap, and apply it to the model with micro brushes. You go through micro brushes pretty quick this way, but they're cheap when you buy them in 100 packs.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mercury does make an odorless version, we've just got to find someone to order it for you.
Abolish Alliteration
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

That would be great!
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I only use CA for small resin kits and securing wiring to the inside of a model (something about the reaction between the rubber insulation and the CA makes it stick so well that the rubber fails before the CA does!).
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

TER-OR wrote:I've stopped buying the large bottles of CA. Half of it goes bad before I can finish using it. I blame the cats.
What do they sniff it?
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Go Flight

Post by Go Flight »

USS Atlantis wrote:Styrene - Ambroid or Tenax
Resin - Super-glue - but get a good brand, not a nameless or "hobby-shop" branded - I stick with Loctite - they have everything from super-thin to black

What he said. I've had superglue go bad from time to time. As was mentioned I too don't buy big bottles of it anymore.
I use the Lock-tite Control Liquid or Control Gel depending ...
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Airdave wrote: After researching it, I think I'm going to give Gorilla Super glue a try. Thanks Kylwell!
I second the use of Gorilla brand impact resistant superglue. I used it for the first time to laminate styrene strips to the rim of my Romulan Bird-Of-Prey build. The strips were rather thick so it took a bit of bit of force to flex them around the curved rim but the Gorilla glue had no problem with letting go. I smeared it on nice and evenly under the strip, held it for about 20-30 seconds and it held like iron. No kicker needed. Great stuff!
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Gerry

Re: I Hate F*&%!# Super Glue!!!!

Post by Gerry »

Airdave wrote: I can't even glue my fingers together!!

Why did you want to glue your fingers together?
Young at heart! {Other parts slightly older}

my model page http://gerry1of1.wordpress.com/
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Better grip, duh! :P
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

On all my resin... I use 2 part epoxy... never had an issue.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

jowman wrote:I use Zap-a-gap all of the time, and the only problem I have had is trying to take something back apart.
That's what I use.
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
AbsoluteSciFi

Re: I Hate F*&%!# Super Glue!!!!

Post by AbsoluteSciFi »

Airdave wrote:Anyone else ever have this problem?

I sit down to work tonight and my thick super glue has thinned to the consistency of water. It will not adhere to anything. I can't even glue my fingers together!! :evil: Zip kicker has no effect on it. Tried shaking it, no dice. Does this sound like a bad batch?

I have nothing but problems with modeling glues. Either the cap clogs or the glue dries up before I can use half of it. I've even tried using a sealed cap to store it, but to no effect. I'm just sick and tired of paying $5 for glue that doesn't work or dries before I can get any use out of it.

What kind of glue do you guys use? I use Tenax on styrene, super glue mainly resin and vinyl.
I buy CA in the three pack of smaller tubes, Super Glue brand at the Dollar Store. Comes in a zip lock bag now for freshness! never buy a big bottle, its a waste.

As far as the CA being water... close the window when it rains?

CA doesn't break down like that, if it does then the brand you use has a suspender in it that will dis-embed leaving the CA inert. This is just really crappy business, making stuff like that- and selling it for a mark up like that!
"He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick- is blind! But, he who sticks out in darkness is... Florescent!"
DM: "LOSE 50 experience points..."
Gamers II: Dorkness Rising

http://www.myspace.com/absolutescifi
SciFiGuy