Using the punch sets from the store.

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

merkin63
Location: Hooterville,KY Where the men are men and the sheep are afraid!

Using the punch sets from the store.

Post by merkin63 »

I purchased both of the punch sets a few months back but now need to use them and needed some advice.I was a parachute rigger in the 1980s so I have used plenty of punches to punch through nylon strap and such but we always used about a 12" round block of lead to use the punches.The lead was soft and would not destroy the punch nor dull it unless over a period of time.I thought maybe one of these cutting mats might work because I'm just punching styrene and ABS but wanted to ask before I went and bought the wrong thing or something I don't need.I even thought about using balsa wood block but these punch sets are not cheap so better safe than sorry.Thanks for any tips or ideas.
CALL of DUTY: MW 20, The V.A.Nursing Home!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I just use a cutting mat.
Abolish Alliteration
merkin63
Location: Hooterville,KY Where the men are men and the sheep are afraid!

Post by merkin63 »

Thanks,that sounds good to me.I may cut up a mat as well and glue it to dowel rods and square stock that can be put into a vice to get in tighter places like the Viper cockpit where some of the bezels are at an angle.Thanks for the heads up.
CALL of DUTY: MW 20, The V.A.Nursing Home!