whats the best way to apply ambroid pro weld ?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

whats the best way to apply ambroid pro weld ?

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I have a kit that requires ambroid pro-weld and bought a bottle. having never used this before, i see it has a brush applicator that is not small by any means. What is the best way to use this ? with the brush or smaller brush and how long do i have to work with it before it dries or evaporates on the parts ? do i apply this cement to both parts being cemented ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Being a Pro-Weld/Tenax 7R junkie (They're pretty much the same) - I don't use anything else on ANY of my styrene - here's the tips

1) Insure that the two parts being joined meet cleanly

2) Hold the parts together

3) Use a SMALL brush (I use a 10/0 artists brush)

4) Apply SPARINGLY along the seam

5) Hold for 10-15 seconds - squeezing slightly

You're done
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Thanks ! so capillary action is the best then ? For large parts such as the BIG seaview that has the front and rear halves to be joined and there are large flat surfaces that need cementing, i guess the brush that comes with it would work here. how long do i have to join the 2 parts , what I mean is what is the working time of the pro-weld ?
Bert
BERT
MODEL MAKER
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

For longer pieces - like my TSR-2's main fuselage - I worked in sections of 3-4 inches - glue a 3-4" length, let it dry, move to the next length

Working time is VERY short when using the small amounts - the 10-15 seconds is to full drying time

Using larger amounts - like the supplied brush - can lead to things like sag, distortion - the Pro-Weld/Tenax is actually melting the styrene - the less melt the better

And it is actually melting part of the styrene, then bonding the two pieces into one complete whole - it's not like CA where the CA holds the parts together, this is actually WELDING the styrene together

The ONLY way to break a Pro-Weld/Tenax joint is to saw it apart, the joints aren't breaking since there really isn't a joint anymore
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Migmaker

Post by Migmaker »

assuming this is resin, like Weld-on, two words for ya....Camel Hair...synthetic brush hairs fuse or bind, camel hair doesn't :D

Will
If you can dream it, I can build it, and probably already have......:) William
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I like the Flexi-I-File capillary applicator.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

It is the big 39 inch long moebius seaview kit with the front & rear sections being cemented together with a cylindrical male/female kind of set up. one tube slides onto a smaller tube section. I have seen some people screw them together. maybe testors liquid cement might be a better choice because of the melt. I may not have to use a whole lot of pro-weld either, maybe a few well spaced lines of it all the way around.
thanks for the help, i wasn't sure of how fast you needed to work with it.Capillary action seems to be the way to go with other areas of models.
Bert
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

This is what I use to apply Ambroid ProWeld. These come in several different sizes, but I find the smaller needles work the best. They allow you to place just a tiny drop at a time, just where you need it. The only problem I have with them is sometimes capillary action will draw a drop of melted styrene back into the needle and clog it. Fortunately these bottles come with a wire to clean out the needle.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

I am going to have to pick up some of those. thanks !
BERT
MODEL MAKER