Filling seams on light colored plastic?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Pandaphil

Filling seams on light colored plastic?

Post by Pandaphil »

I'm having a real problem fixing the gaps on my Enterise-E because the white plastic makes it very hard to see whether they're smooth or not. I don't want to overspray with a darker color since the finished model will be an overall light Camoflague Grey.

Any tips?
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" -Sherlock Holmes
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

Squadron makes green and red putties. At least, the used to make red, don't know if they still do. Green is still around because I bought some a couple of months ago.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by kenlilly106 »

What about overspraying with Light or Dark Ghost Gray?

Both are darker than the camo gray but not super dark like gunship gray, a light coat or two of camo gray and you won't be able to tell the difference.

The other option is to spray the camo gray over the areas and check them under a strong light.

Ken
Pandaphil

Post by Pandaphil »

Problem solved. I think I must've been thinning my paint too much, because a second coat of Camo Grey was plenty dark. *facepalm*

Thanks all for the tips. Now to let 'er dry for a day, then start glosscoating.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" -Sherlock Holmes
LrdSatyr8

Post by LrdSatyr8 »

I've used the Squadron Green/Red and found it tends to get too hot in thinner plastics while it cures and will warp the plastic. However, something I discovered that works great is Magic Sculpt. It is also a great molding clay. It thins out really good with water so you can get it pretty smooth with little to no sanding once you get it on and it drys rock hard in about 2-3 hours. Give it a shot... I use it for just about everything these days!
When I die I'm leaving my body to science fiction!
Max Nex

Post by Max Nex »

I am surprised no one offered you the obvious solution...
Squadron White Putty
stock number 09060
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Or Tamiya white putty - super fine grain. It is thinner than the regular grey putty, so you might need to apply and then re-apply, since it shrinks more than the grey. I haven't touched the Squadron stuff in years.

Kev