How to make Gun bluing for resin kits

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

KLINGON CAV

How to make Gun bluing for resin kits

Post by KLINGON CAV »

I have a Seburo CX EXploder what method is best for getting that irridescent blue black color like a real firearm for plastic.
Duj meQ!
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Testor's makes a decent gunmetal color in their Metalizer line, surface preparation is the key to getting good results with these paints.

For resin, I'd prime it with lacquer primer, wet sand and repeat as necessary until you have a good, solid coat of primer on the part, then polish out the primer until it's shiny.

Ken
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Maybe one of the transparent blues over the metallic? I've seen some amazing work done with Tamiya and Gunze clear colors over the metallic parts on the tail of F-105s. Really makes it stand out and look authentically metallic.

Kev
Valdore

Post by Valdore »

Hi guys,

I think KLINGON CAV means is a mostly black surface, with just a tinge of blue. I've experimented with color change nail polish. And it gives that sort of look. Heres a link.

http://www.idonails.com/colorchg.htm

The version I use needs a black base coat. So you're half way there.

Valdore
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Well... you could send it out to have it vaccuum deposited with copper then steel and go for some real gun blueing...

For that nice Colt Python look I'd start with gloss black and hit it with some Tamiya clear blue over the top. Or you could go lighter by starting with some Alclad Chrome or Stainless Steel followed by Tamiya smoke & clear blue.

Going to be some experimentation I think.
Abolish Alliteration