Aerial antennas (ea?) on tanks

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

LobsterOverlord

Aerial antennas (ea?) on tanks

Post by LobsterOverlord »

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing the antennas on each of my 40K Imperial Tanks, and trying to figure out the best materials.

I've used very thin brass rod on some, but they don't look right, nor do the plastic ones that come with them. I've seen some use guitar wire, but is there a happy medium that can simulate this?

Also, anyone know of a couple of good real life pictures of them in place on tanks with long range communications packages?

John M.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Probably the most realistic way to make scale antennas that I've seen is to use stretched sprue. To do this you basically take a length of sprue from a model, heat it (carefully) over a candle or something similar, and stretch it until it's very thin.

It works surprisingly well, and should only take a few tries to get right, if that.

-Rog
LobsterOverlord

Post by LobsterOverlord »

That is an awesome idea, thanks.

John M.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Do you have a cat ?

Their wiskers work really well for small scale antenna.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

modelnutz wrote:Do you have a cat ?

Heh, I forgot about that one. They usually aren't happy when you rip them out though, so I'd suggest scissors.

I'm not sure that would be quite right for a 40k tank, simply because GW's stuff isn't modeled to scale, it's "chunkier", if you will.

I say play around and see what looks good.

-Rog
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Rogviler wrote:
modelnutz wrote:Do you have a cat ?

Heh, I forgot about that one. They usually aren't happy when you rip them out though, so I'd suggest scissors
I'd suggest patience (to wait 'till they fall off on their own). It's best for the skin (yours).
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Two things, cat whiskers (as mentioned above) and carbon fibre. Cat whiskers work well, they're tapered and take paint fairly nicely. Just wait for them to drop instead of trimming them from the source. Hot water and a weight can help straighten crooked ones.

I've also switched from piano wire antenna to carbon fibre rod. The carbon fibre is flexible but won't kink or get a permanent bend in it. The offset is that if pushed too far it'll fail and break.

Brass wire is just too fragile, bends like mad and once bent you're hosed.
Abolish Alliteration