How to clean a file?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

No_6

How to clean a file?

Post by No_6 »

I've got a ton of styrene stuck in all the ridges of my 6" file, and for the life of me, can't figure how to get it out. Along one edge, there's an inch long, 1/3" high strip of epoxy/green putty as well.
I am not a number.
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

Well, you can soak it in lacquer thinner overnight and hit it with a file card. That should do the trick.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

A brass-bristled brush is what I use to clean all my files
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

SCC-7107 USS Atlantis wrote:A brass-bristled brush is what I use to clean all my files
Also known as a suede brush. You'll get more out if you rub the file with a stick of chalk first - preferably French Chalk.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

I myself clean my files as I go along. If you don't let the buildup get too great, an old stiff bristled toothbrush will do. Also, As I have sweaty hands, I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol (Isopropanol) to clean the skin oils, which can make the file glide over rather than grab and cut cleanly.

So I wet the toothbrush with alcohol and run it over the file every now and then.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
haywire

Post by haywire »

I use one of those box cutter knives and just go back and forth through the ridges. takes a while, but gets everything out
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Fire?
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
No_6

Post by No_6 »

Stu Pidasso wrote:Fire?
I loike the way you think! Quick and easy! I'll give that a shot this afternoon...
I am not a number.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I wet file just like I wet sand. It helps with the clogging, scratching the substrate with large particles, and melting the substrate problems. As long as you don't leave them wet when you're finished, you're fine.

I hope this helps

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I've used a wire brush for years and it works fine, every so often I'll have to dig out a chunk of epoxy or CA that wasn't quite set when I filed it, but I've never had a file gummed up to the point it took a lot of work to clean it.

I'd be careful with the fire trick, too hot and you'll take the temper out of the teeth.

Reading the part about the chalk reminded me of an old machinists trick when filing aluminum, rub chalk into the file before you start. Aluminum has a tendency to smear when filed, the chalk acts as a lubricant and also prevents the aluminum shavings from packing in tight between the teeth.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

kenlilly106 wrote:Reading the part about the chalk reminded me of an old machinists trick when filing aluminum, rub chalk into the file before you start. Aluminum has a tendency to smear when filed, the chalk acts as a lubricant and also prevents the aluminum shavings from packing in tight between the teeth.
That's exactly where I learned the trick as an apprentice. I decided to try the same technique at home on the files I use for modelling. In many ways, plastic & resin behave in the same way as aluminium when filing.

Frensch chalk is better than school or marking chalk as it is purer and has none of the binders which can actually make things worse.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

File card is the way to go. Like a brass brush, only it's wider and the bristles are only about 1/8 inch long. I've never heard of the chalk method, but I've used a bar of soap to do the same thing.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

The problem with a file card is that the wire bristles are usually too large for fine needle-files, which is why I use a suede brush. I haven't tried soap myself, but I would think it works OK.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

seam-filler wrote: That's exactly where I learned the trick as an apprentice. I decided to try the same technique at home on the files I use for modelling. In many ways, plastic & resin behave in the same way as aluminium when filing.
I never thought about the similarities, I'll have to try it out.
Frensch chalk is better than school or marking chalk as it is purer and has none of the binders which can actually make things worse.
Where can you get it at retail?

Ken
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:File card is the way to go. Like a brass brush, only it's wider and the bristles are only about 1/8 inch long. I've never heard of the chalk method, but I've used a bar of soap to do the same thing.
I've used soap to lubricate saws, even razor saws.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

kenlilly106 wrote:
seam-filler wrote: Frensch chalk is better than school or marking chalk as it is purer and has none of the binders which can actually make things worse.
Where can you get it at retail?

Ken
In the UK it is readily available in better hardware and DIY shops, but I don't know about the US. Sports shops also often seel it, but it is already ground into a powder which is no good for cleaning files.

Another alternative is tailor's (or dressmaker's) chalk. It isn't as good as french chalk, but way better than scholl chalk.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Get a fine brass brush and a fine steel wire brush. Use the brass on the finer files and the steel on the courser. I avoid using thinners at all costs as they tend to melt the plastic and leave a residue in the deep recesses that may never come out.

If you are going to be in the modeling hobby for any length of time you need to invest in good files. They cost a lot more but maintain their sharpness for most of a lifetime.

As to fire yeah try it and then wait till your file breaks cause you have totally screwed the temper on the thing. Not a good idea...

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

From what I can find, dressmakers chalk is French chalk. Found a nice supply of chalks here along with waxes & what-not.
Abolish Alliteration
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Mark Yungblut wrote:If you are going to be in the modeling hobby for any length of time you need to invest in good files.
I say if you're only going to be in the hobby for like 10-15 minutes, files made from chewing gum with sand stuck in it work nicely. Cheap and disposable, that's the ticket!

-Rog
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Use a small butane torch or gas ring to heat the file. This will burn the crud out but don't get it too hot or you'll alter the temper of the file. You should then be able to brush the remains out. For really stubborn dirt, try filing a piece of mild steel 'edge on' to remove the accumulated crud.
There is no such word as "casted" or "recasted". The past tense of "cast" is still "cast". Only bisexually hermaphrodites add the "ed". - Churchill August 1942.

"Lose" = Mislay/Fail to win.
"Loose" = Slack/Not tight - John Lennon June 81
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

If you can find it, get a tube of the wax jewlwers use to lubricate a jewlwers saw. I will occasionally rub a file with this wax if i know the material I am filing is soft.

If you can't find that get machinists grade bee's wax.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert