afterburner effect

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MrNobudy

afterburner effect

Post by MrNobudy »

any ideas on how to create an afterburner effect? not just smoke, but the appearance of the burn? i thought about celephane or cling wrap colored, but wasnt sure if anyone else had any ideas.
Part of the Lowest Common Denominator and エッチ の は proud of it!
Lichtbringer

Post by Lichtbringer »

Form the shape with some Aves, use it to make a mold - and cast it with clear resin?
Have a nice day.

Bye,
Michael

I´m just a simple man, trying to glue my way in the universe.
http://s527.photobucket.com/home/Lichtbote/allalbums
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Best-and-impracticable idea: Aerogel. Too bad you have to pay an arm and a leg to get a sliver of it. But hey, if you've got the money, and you need just a small piece (say for a 1/72 engine)...
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

The exhaust flames on this model were cast using clear epoxy resin, tinted with casting resin dyes (bought from a craft store) in a rubber mold made off of an old Hawk Atomic Bomber exhaust flame. Worked well enough, although my scrappage rate was atrocious.

http://coffincorner.proboards.com/index ... 839&page=1
Godfather

Post by Godfather »

How'bout expanding foam, like the one used for sealing & insulating?

Home Despot has some: Linky!
"If people make you sick, maybe you should cook them longer."
MrNobudy

Post by MrNobudy »

Godfather wrote:How'bout expanding foam, like the one used for sealing & insulating?

Home Despot has some: Linky!
not a bad idea. just have to get it into a 'conical' shape.
Part of the Lowest Common Denominator and エッチ の は proud of it!
Godfather

Post by Godfather »

Hmm... this stuff takes a bit to cure, so maybe you can manipulate it (wear gloves, this stuff is caustic) to the shape you want?
"If people make you sick, maybe you should cook them longer."
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Can yuo sculpt the foam after it cures?
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
Whiteraven_2001

Post by Whiteraven_2001 »

Godfather wrote:How'bout expanding foam, like the one used for sealing & insulating?
That is a wicked diorama.... is it yours? And if it is, why haven't you shared before?
elend

Post by elend »

Wow. Most realistic explosions I have seen yet. I demand more and bigger pictures! :8)
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

That was "Shadow Attack", by David Arzapalo, won a Silver at Wonderfest 2002:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/events/w ... _shad1.JPG
________
Joe Brown
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Expanding foam can indeed be carved when it's cured.
The only issue is the open cell structure of the foam does not paint up very well without a ton of surface prep ( putty,sand,repeat)

A slightly off beat idea is.... use ice cubes to control the shape as the foam is expanding.

Sounds crazy...I know...but foam is a heat cured material and the cold of the ice slows the reaction and can therefore control the final shape of the foam.

Just putin'it out there...that's all.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Possibly spray the foam into shaped objects, like say, balloons? Allow to cure, dispose of balloon. Old plastic salad bowls, maybe?

I know - help with the original request - you'd think the hard-core aircraft modelers would have come up with some thing useful by now...
________
Joe Brown
walter

Post by walter »

I have seen jets mounted on clear rod from the engine, you could paint the flame on the rod.
Old Wombat

Post by Old Wombat »

walter wrote:I have seen jets mounted on clear rod from the engine, you could paint the flame on the rod.
Or hollow out a cone down the centre of the rod & paint it using thinned clear paints (to get that transparent red/orange/green/blue afterburner effect)?
"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

"This is what happens when you keep fixing it until it's broke." - Ziz.

Lost! Somewhere in WhIf World!
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Get an UV LED shining down the rod from the base, have the part near the model painted with some glow in the dark paint.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
B@F

Post by B@F »

A cotton wool could do the effect too:
http://papergallery.ic.cz/foto/pr-modul1.jpg
http://papergallery.ic.cz/foto/pr-modul2.jpg
(whole diorama can be seen here)
When made fluffy and airy and suspended in open space (I used my hair for this), it looks almost like a smoke. And after painting by water-based color markers (yellow, orange, red) resembles a flame. The drawbacks are that it's very fragile (windproof display case is a must) and I don't know whether it's applicable in larger scales (that shuttle is no more than 15 mm long).
...to boldly glue what no man has glued before...
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

As far as smokey or misty effects go I like to use the fiber fill that they sell at aquarium stores. it works really great.

One of the best effects of after burner flame was a model mounted on acrylic rods. It had red lights in the model and the rods were hollow and they fed water up through the center and down the out side of the tubes. The model sat on a base that had a water reservoir and a small pump. The effect was so realistic it looked really great.
"Eating kittens is just plain... plain wrong! And no-one should do it, ever!"
The Tick
NNYGamer

Post by NNYGamer »

Chacal wrote:Best-and-impracticable idea: Aerogel. Too bad you have to pay an arm and a leg to get a sliver of it. But hey, if you've got the money, and you need just a small piece (say for a 1/72 engine)...
I just found you can get Aerogel at Unitednuclear plus radioactive ores.
I have no signature.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

NNYGamer wrote:
Chacal wrote:Best-and-impracticable idea: Aerogel. Too bad you have to pay an arm and a leg to get a sliver of it. But hey, if you've got the money, and you need just a small piece (say for a 1/72 engine)...
I just found you can get Aerogel at Unitednuclear plus radioactive ores.
And did ya look @ the prices for same? In block form?
Abolish Alliteration