Kinds of Putty

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Darkowski

Kinds of Putty

Post by Darkowski »

I was wondering what kind of putties and techniques are out there to fill out holes and seams.
I know there are different topics about it, but they are scattered all over the place. Hard to find exactly what I'm looking for.

What I always used is a Tamiya modeling putty in a tube. It's not bad, but it's a little too thick and just dries too fast. I tried to mix it with thinner, rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, but they don't mix. It does mix with Testors cement for plastic in a tube, but it dries too fast as well and does a dirty, messy job.

1 - I'm curious what do you guys use. I'm looking for something that doesn't dry that fast and that isn't so thick.

2 - I'm also planning to redo my ERTL refit E in the near future, and putty all the wrong panel lines on the entire ship. What would be the best product for that as well?

Thanks in advance!
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Tube putties usually thin well with acetone (maybe the nail polish remover you used was one of the isopropanol based-ones). Just a little bit—a drop or two—in a little pea-sized gob of putty will give it a very nice consistency. Don't mix too much at a time, as it will dry up very quickly. Keep adding more acetone from time to time to take the putty back to the right consistency.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Mostly, I've been using the Squadron white putty for general seam filling. It does dry fairly quickly; and when dry, it sands at almost exactly the same rate at styrene.

On detail-rich pieces, and areas that I need to fill a seam, but am worried about losing fine detail in that area; I've used regular old spackling compound from the hardware store. It's about the same consistency going on, can be diluted with water to extend your working time, and once dry, you can "wet-sand" it with a damp paper towel. This leaves a nice filled in seam, without any damage to the surrounding detail!
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

For general filling and buildup I use Milliput silver-gray (fine) or white (super-fine)

For fine details or surface filling where I'll be scribing or other tooling, Aves is God
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
modman06

Post by modman06 »

For very small spots i use the red acryl putty, but for larger areas i use Evercoat glaze coat. its a two part putty, like bondo, only very smooth. i do mostly scratch building but it works great on kits too. I used it on my PL enterprise kit. with great results.

Al
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

AVES
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

For lines like those you're describing I have become fond of the WAVE black CA diluted with standard CA. Yeah, it takes a while to apply but the results are well worth the time. I'd even use this instead of the blessed Aves for such a task.

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/index.cf ... uct_ID=636

That's the black stuff. It's not like the hobby shop black stuff, and I find it thick right out of the bottle - so I dilute with thin CA.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Darkowski

Post by Darkowski »

Thanks for all the info.

I will try to buy a few kinds to try them out.

My third question would be where do you guys purchase these from? I live in Canada so I'm not sure if the same putties are found in stores here.

I searched the internet for some online stores:
http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/supp ... tties.html

For the Aves one, which one do you guys use, as there are so many?
http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/products.html

And this one is for the Milliput:
http://www.hobbycosf.com/mitwopaeppus1.html

Are these sites good, or do you guys know some more reliable sites?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

If you're going to go with a 2 part putty you might as well forget Miliput and go Aves. Best bet? Pick up the Aves Sampler Pack from the SSM store. It'll give you a feel for the various products but my preference is for the Apoxie Sculpt.

There's also Mori-Mori, Tamiya polyester putty, Nitro-Stan, Bondo, etc. I stick with Aves and Wave Black CA for ease of use and lack of brain killing carcinogens.
Abolish Alliteration
Darkowski

Post by Darkowski »

Sweet!
I didn't realize that SSM had putties in store.

I guess I will start with the WAVE Black CA and their Aves Sampler Pack. :tu:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Man, they should put some of us on commission....
Abolish Alliteration
GameraBaenre

Post by GameraBaenre »

Along with epoxy and basic putties, I also use tamiya's Light Curing Putty:

http://www.gamerabaenre.com/resin_gap_f ... light_cure

A good number of my friends who have tried the stuff use it regularly.
SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Post by SJM »

I used Tamiya grey for ages to I had the same complaints, then I used Squadron green, its great the only reason I wont use it again is because its too smelly. Bad for you.

So I'm just going back to Tamiya.
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.
El Gato
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of the imagination

Post by El Gato »

Stu Pidasso wrote:AVES
No, no. You're not saying it right:

AVES
"You know what I pray for? For the strength to change the things that I can, for the inability to accept the things that I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference"

- Calvin of "Calvin & Hobbes"
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Depending on application I use...

Squadron Green
Milliput Superfine White
Tippex (a typing correction fluid - great for pinholes)

I only use Milliput because Aves is almost impossible to get in the UK at a reasonable price.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
guyver408

Post by guyver408 »

I use wood putty from local hardware store. Any inputs?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I have tried wood filler, with limited success.

The solvent-based ones tend to be too aggressive for styrene and attack the plastic. The acrylic-based ones don’t stick well to styrene or resin, but they are actually quite good for vinyl – largely because of their flexibility.

The main problem I have found is that the grain is rather coarse and it’s difficult to get a really a finish quite as smooth as the plastic around it.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Thou shalt use the putty of all putties.

The blessed Aves.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Ok - I've bowed to pressure, found a UK supplier who didn't want a mortgage payment and I got myself some AVES. It certainly is easier to mix than Milliput, but I've been using 'M' for about 30 years now, so It will need to be good. I'll keep yo guys posted.

Incidentally, - Europe have now banned the import of Squadron green & white putty - so any that is in the shops now is all you're going to get. Folks, another era has ended.
Neb

Post by Neb »

Nitro Stan, Gunze Dissolved Putty, Tamiya Brushable Primer---depends on what I'm filling... :)
George Seletas
Contest Chief
Amazing Model Contest
www.wonderfest.com
gseletas@wonderfest.com