Mighty Putty = Milliput?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Special K

Mighty Putty = Milliput?

Post by Special K »

I saw some of this stuff, "Mighty Putty", that that tv pitchman Billy Mays sells, in my walgreens. The box does not state a cure time on it, so I was wondering if this stuff could be used like Milliput, sculpted, and how long from mixing does it cure? I would normally get Milliput of the like for modelling, its just that this stuff is really close to my house and at a good price. If anyone has any experience with, and knows if it is good or bad, let me know, thanks!
Vince Hoffmann

Post by Vince Hoffmann »

They advertise in Fine Scale Modeler if that means anything.

As for the answer to your question... dunno. But since you mix the two parts, it certainly seems like an epoxy putty.
Had I known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of my car.
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

It's probably more akin to the plumber's two-part that comes in a tube. It hardens very fast(and heats up too).
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I bought some of this stuff too. Haven't tried it yet. According to the TV ads you can use it to seal pressure leaks in PVC pipe which I doubt but won't know for sure until I try it out.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

If it's like plumber's putty, it'll be too hard to work with. This is no exaggeration: Plumber's putty will degrit your sandpaper. IT won't clog it, but it will outright strip the grit off of it due to its hardness. Also, it will dull you files faster than anything I've seen. And yes, I wet sand and file.

Use Aves. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
jxn1138

Post by jxn1138 »

All Hail Aves!
"They've come for Brains, …..You'll give them bullets!"