source for grooved hose?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

darth_daniel

source for grooved hose?

Post by darth_daniel »

Hi all,
I´m in search for a grooved, bendable hose for the neck of my RoG At-At. It must have an outer diameter of 3cm, and needs to be bendable as I´m building my At-At in fallen down position, an in this position the neck is bent.
I know the Blue Moon At-At came with such a hose, maybe a 3cm hose is available from the same source? I´d be very grateful for any advice. :)

And another somewhat strange request, could someone provide a pic of dymo tape, not the package, but a piece of the tape itself? I need to know what kind of tape that is, as I guess it´s a product available in the US and I need to find a European substitute for it for scribing on round parts (At-At feet). Thanks! :)
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Dymo is sold in Australia but may be hard to find. I can post a pict in a bit.
Abolish Alliteration
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Is this what you have in mind for the neck? I think they make it in different sizes, I've seen various sizes used in cars.

Ken
b5ranger99

Post by b5ranger99 »

As a last resort, find a smooth wire smaller that you want the hose e.g. 12 or 14 ga. house wiring. Wrap the outside with smaller wire e.g. 18 or 20 ga. couple drops of super glue along the way, quick paint job and viola.
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."
Dukhat, Babylon 5

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
Lewis Carroll
darth_daniel

Post by darth_daniel »

Thanks a lot for your replies.

As for Dymo, I need to know what the tape itself looks like, so i can find a substitute for it. My previous attempts failed miserably, with too low adhesion, so the blade pushed away the tape, or the tape was not thick enough, so the scribing tool ran over the edge of tape and cut through it. :x

About the hose, thanks for the link kenlilly106, it is basically what I need, but with finer grooves, and unfortunately this one´s the wrong diameter. I´ll go to a hardware store tomorrow and see if I´m lucky. If not, I think I´ll ask John and/or Linda for the source of the hose that came with the Blue Moon At-At, and if I´m not lucky with this either, I´ll resort to what you supposed, b5ranger99. Actually a very good idea, thanks a lot! :)
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

darth_daniel wrote: About the hose, thanks for the link kenlilly106, it is basically what I need, but with finer grooves, and unfortunately this one´s the wrong diameter. I´ll go to a hardware store tomorrow and see if I´m lucky.
That was just an example to see if that's what you were looking for.

I'd try looking at auto parts stores and computer stores, especially the latter.
This type of tubing is pretty common in the "case mod" hobby.

Ken
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

You remember those old school self adhesive embossed letter labels? The ones used to label everything up until the 80's (and laser printers)? The ones that were "printed" using a remarkably phaser-like device (my dad would have to tell me time and again that it was "not a toy"). It went clicliclicliclickety clack... clicliclicclickety clack... clack... clicliclicclickety clack... ka-chunk and you had a label which read "BOOB", you peeled the vinyl backing and stuck it in some boob (not a tit, a nitwit).
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Sorry, lost track. Well the phaser-like device used a plastic tape made of thick PVC (I think) with a vinyl backing to protect the adhesive. That tape is Dymo tape. It's very thick, so you can use it as a guide for scribing. Its adhesive is not all that strong if you don't rub it down hard or keep it in the model for too long.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.