not scifi but still need modeling help gluing clear plastic

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

not scifi but still need modeling help gluing clear plastic

Post by raser13 »

o.k. i've been working on a project for my father for christmass. it's a model of the uss Intrepid from WWII. (my grandfather served on her durring the war)this is to go under a display of my grandfathers burrial flag that my father leaves hidden in his closet.

well here it goes i went to the local hobby shop and found this clear plastic that pretty well replicates a rolling sea.i

www.myrtsweb.com/upload/raser13/images/waves1.jpg

i'm trying to make a clear plexi box for the model. i'm then going to have this plastic painted transparent blue and greens, mount it in a grove in the plexi to simulate the water line, do the wakes and the whole nine yards then have an "underwater" and bottom of the ocean sceene. the only problem is that the ship happens to be a smidge longer than the plastic sheet.

www.myrtsweb.com/upload/raser13/images/waves.jpg

so i got 2 of them. the question i have is, have any of you worked with this stuff before? if so what would you use to glue the two sheets together? super glue/CA and testors model glue turn it white. not good. and i can't think of geting resin to conform to the waves. and elmers white glue, while it does dry clear and look like the waves, it doesn't hold them together well enough. any sugestions?
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Elmer's. Although not very strong will cure clear-ish. Emphasis on the ish.

There's also G-S Hypo Cement that's used for watch crystal repair and clear adhesion of clear parts.

There might also be some automotive clear epoxy that I'm not aware of but the folks at your local automotive supply store could help you out with.
entlim

Post by entlim »

white Pva which dries clear
or if you want a strong bond- Gator's Grip glue-excess can be removed with a damp cloth- dries clear . Also excellent for PE , and give enough scope for adjustment :8)
And so it begins............

A Ned Seagoon production............
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

For canopies I like white glue, and usually I'll mix some of the fuselage paint into it. The excess can be removed with a wet cotton swab.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

entlim wrote:white Pva which dries clear
or if you want a strong bond- Gator's Grip glue-excess can be removed with a damp cloth- dries clear . Also excellent for PE , and give enough scope for adjustment :8)
where do you get the gators grip glue? i need this bond to be pretty strong.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
entlim

Post by entlim »

just google it- they have their own site in the states.............. :)
And so it begins............

A Ned Seagoon production............
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

raser13, can you angle the ship - more corner to corner rather than parallel to one of the flat sides? That's one way to get some extra 'length' on a fixed size rectangle.

HTH
Zen-Builder

Post by Zen-Builder »

If you want a clear box look at the stuff used to glue aquariums together.
Forum Silicone that dries clear.

For acrylic sheeting there is a similar glue available here.