Anybody have a vertical milling machine?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Anybody have a vertical milling machine?

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I've got a robotics project which desperately needs help from someone who owns or who has access to one of those vertical milling machines. it doesn't have to be a big one, just big enough to hold a part that is 5 inches in width and length. I need two of each part made and there are two different designs I need made.

This is a two-way joint that will be under a lot of pressure, so I need it made from steel parts, stainless if possible. I have a set of orthgraphic drawings to use. If someone would be willing to do these for me, I'd be most grateful.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Stainless steel would be more expensive and has a tendency to work harden depending on what grade it is. If you PM what you have in mind, I might be able to advise. How thick is this part? I have two VMC machines.
There is no such word as "casted" or "recasted". The past tense of "cast" is still "cast". Only bisexually hermaphrodites add the "ed". - Churchill August 1942.

"Lose" = Mislay/Fail to win.
"Loose" = Slack/Not tight - John Lennon June 81
Scratchawan Learner

Post by Scratchawan Learner »

You could also try A-2, or D-2. Both steels are "Tool" steel, and have a high carbon content, with low wear characteristics, when properly heat treated. Stainless DOES have a tendency to work harden, true enough...but that's usually when it's a high carbon stainless, like 440.
There are other grades, which, when purchased annealed, remain more malleable when machined. Even high carbon steel stock can be machined, if one uses Carbide bits, slow feed speeds, and keeps plenty of cutting fluids on the cutter, while the job is in progress. God, wouldn't a vertical CNC milling machine be fun to have? Perhaps if I win the lotto... *sigh*

Scratch
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."