The Abbey of Aves

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

gsb5w

Re: The Abbey of Aves

Post by gsb5w »

There usually are some direction on how to do what you are asking on the package. Perhaps you could look up the MSDS fact sheet on that product as well for additional info.

Personally I've only used the traditional JB weld and I use a rag to wipe off excess that I don't want before it cures.
southwestforests

Re:

Post by southwestforests »

starmanmm wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:59 amI am using it on a resin kit where I joined two parts...
About a week or so ago I used for the first time Aves' Apoxie Sculpt to make some fillets/joint reinforcements on a sci-fi kitbash from plastic models and for filling the backs of some Monogram/Revell 1/32 Apollo astronauts which will some day find their way in to a sci-fi bash.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Now what I want to do is fill this War Rocket game mini's gaps; the 2 on bottom between resin hull/fuselage parts and 1 aft top between the whatever those metal parts are.
Have looked here. Have looked at Aves' website. It apparently is compatible with resin.
What I seek is input from someone who has used it with resin.
(mini lacks one last part, a turret which goes on astrodome looking bump on top)

"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
southwestforests

Re:

TER-OR wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:24 pmConsternation yielded to invention,
Can that be buzzword hybridized as constervention?
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Nothing on the package beyond the preparation and warnings. A google search yields 'lacquer thinner and acetone." I will try the former and hope that doesn't harm the resin or the JB Weld.
gsb5w

Re: Re:

Post by gsb5w »

southwestforests wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:41 am
starmanmm wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:59 amI am using it on a resin kit where I joined two parts...
About a week or so ago I used for the first time Aves' Apoxie Sculpt to make some fillets/joint reinforcements on a sci-fi kitbash from plastic models and for filling the backs of some Monogram/Revell 1/32 Apollo astronauts which will some day find their way in to a sci-fi bash.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Now what I want to do is fill this War Rocket game mini's gaps; the 2 on bottom between resin hull/fuselage parts and 1 aft top between the whatever those metal parts are.
Have looked here. Have looked at Aves' website. It apparently is compatible with resin.
What I seek is input from someone who has used it with resin.
(mini lacks one last part, a turret which goes on astrodome looking bump on top)

I've used it on resin. It works great.
southwestforests

Okay, thanks. Appreciate your confirmation.

And now I'm thinking wouldn't it be a hoot if Aves had a customer service rep named Abbey who joined in here and said "Hi, I'm the Abbey of Aves!"
Cvrle

Post by Cvrle »

I seek guidance - I should be in the States soon, and Aves is on the "to get" list.

So a question on which colour you deem the most appropriate and the second, more important, question - which size tub to get? How quickly will it go off if not used? (I'm not exactly a prolific, high output modeler ;) )

And is there anything else I should get with it (a mention of something called Safety solvent has cropped up?)

Thank you!
intent on building... but somehow i just end up collecting (full) boxes :)
jafo

Post by jafo »

I would get the smallest available. They go farther than you think once mixed together. I had my set for over 5 years before they started to get a little hard to get out of the containers. They still mixed fine and worked well. As for color, anything that you like. Usually light grey works the best.