Balsa wood question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

leo limuaco

Balsa wood question

Post by leo limuaco »

I'm helping this kid build a 4ft long Hinderburg and the frame is made out of balsa wood that's 3/8 in in thickness and are 1 and 1/2 feet long. My question is whether you can wet the wood in water to make it pliable and if you can, for how long? I have to conform the strips to make to bend for the tail and nose. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Leo Limuaco
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

You can steam it over a kettle very easily although 3/8th is very thick and not easy to bend. You'd be better off using 1/8th or preferably thinner. Just immersing it in water will make no appreciable difference.
There is no such word as "casted" or "recasted". The past tense of "cast" is still "cast". Only bisexually hermaphrodites add the "ed". - Churchill August 1942.

"Lose" = Mislay/Fail to win.
"Loose" = Slack/Not tight - John Lennon June 81
srspicer

Post by srspicer »

Hello Leo,

What you need is a flat surface long enough to lay out the balsa piece. I agree that steam bending is the only way to create the bend you need. I assume that you have a blue print that shows the cruve you neeed to attain? Lay out the blue print on your flat surface. On this table, you will then lay out the curve of the bow/stern with pins, tape or blocks that will hold the bent balsa in place. You could also create a curved, two part form that clamps the balsa in position. There are some modern kettles or coffee pots that will create a good steam jet for you. You will be able to find them at Wall Mart type stores.

While steaming, rotate the balsa on its axis until it becomes plyable, then bend to match the desired curve and clamp, pin or tape to your flat surface. Leave it to set for a couple of hours, while checking to see that it does not shift.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Scott
leo limuaco

Post by leo limuaco »

COOL! Thanks a lot to both of you for the advice. I never thought of using steam. Looks like I'm off to Wal Mart!
Leo
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

That's how furniture makers build chairs and such with the curved wood. Steam is wonderful. Nice and easy, Leo - don't push it too hard too fast. But I'm sure the Big Island Boy well knows that advice!
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
leo limuaco

Post by leo limuaco »

And that I fo Ter...that I do...I've never built one of these kits before. It's a challenge and kind of fun...
Later, Leo