Making Clear Windows

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

modeler1964

Making Clear Windows

Post by modeler1964 »

Made sticky, because it's a useful subject

Hey folks
I see a lot of people who use clear resins for filling the windows and portholes on star trek models. Is there a drawback in using clear thick CA for the same purpose? You know the process of drilling out the window, applying scotch tape to the outside of the part and then filling from the inside. Just wanted some info about this. Thanks
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I've heard of others using it. Myself, I used it to fill in some spots in resin windows I'd casted that had some tiny pinholes. I just used some CA to fill them and any low spots. Looked fine after I wet sanded it. You could always experiment on some scrap plastic. There may be size limitations for one thing.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Scanam2006

Post by Scanam2006 »

microCrystalclear will dry clearer and is less likely to fog. It also can be removed with water so it won't mar your finish
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

It's tricky, and the adhesive can cause a problem. Best to put a bit of tape or plastic over the adhesive, giving it a nice smooth surface.

CA can haze, if you try this make sure you use a fresh container.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

try testors clear parts cement/window maker :)
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Slave1

Post by Slave1 »

BERT aka MODEL MAKER wrote:try testors clear parts cement/window maker :)
That's what I use :)
2keyla

Post by 2keyla »

I like to use silver reflective tape from the hardware store. It'll reflect light as if the window were lit from the inside. It's very thin stuff, so you won;t end up with any bulky tape effects.

KG
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

http://www.modelingmadness.com/reviews/ ... ebeech.htm

I use envirotex light pretty frequently for larger-scale windows. I think I did a fair job describing that process in this article. If you have more questions, let me know.

Terry Miesle
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Will Elmer's glue make for good windows? I remember the glue yellowing over time (many years) and drying out. I'm guessing in time it would pop out eventually.
No_6

Post by No_6 »

I've used Elmer's glue for masking, but not for windows. It does yellow and it doesn't really stick well--it peels up easily, so sanding is out.

BTW, I've been using Devcon 5 minute epoxy, which dries very close to water-clear. It's a bit thick, so it can be tricky filling small windows. But it does wet sand well. Also, from what I understand, it will eventually yellow as it ages. I'm all right with that as it wouldn't be too noticeable with smaller windows.
I am not a number.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Does the hole for a window always have to be taped from the inside or can it be done from the outside?
If this question has already been asked on this thread my apoligies for not reading the entire thread.
Normal?? What is normal??
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

It can be done from the outside, but the tape adhesive might cause troubles. In that case, tape a bit of clear cellophane in the tape where the window will be, and adhere it in place.. I learned that the hard way.

Terry Miesle
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Elmer's glue makes great windows up to about 1/4 inch around. Swirl it into place, let dry until clear, and then fill the meniscus with a drop of clear enamel.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Filling the meniscus from the outside of the model?
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Is it normal for Testors clear parts cement/window maker to come out white from the bottle? Will this dry clear?
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

You probably know this by now, but yes, it dries clear.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Yes, fill it from the outside of the model with a drop of clear enamel after the white glue has dried. Looks glossier and glassier.
Interesting_Screen_Name

Post by Interesting_Screen_Name »

I've been trying lately to use the testors window maker myself with horrible results.

While the Elmers white glue does yellow over time, has anyone tried the elmers gel? I just made some windows using it and so far it's worked beautifully. It spreads great with my putty knife and is drying now. The gel doesn't go anywhere except where I wanted it to go.

I'll toss up some pics of it tomorrow after it's dry and let you guys be the judge.
z1pkicker

Post by z1pkicker »

Testors Window Maker doesn't cut it for me either.
Though I'm going to go with using the kit supplied windows for the majority of the model, I'll be very interested to see the results of the Gel.
Interesting_Screen_Name

Post by Interesting_Screen_Name »

Ok, here's a test I did with the Elmers gel.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... C11501.jpg

Don't mid how bad the "eyes" are made, I haven't finished em yet. The digital couldn't get much closer than this pic without going outta focus so I hope you can at least get an idea as to how the glue came out.
DLMatthys
Location: "Fracking? Not in my back yard. Now get off my ranch!

Post by DLMatthys »

I like Ter-ors method best... Mainly because he knows better.

So here is an update Terry...

My trick is to use Smooth-on 202 Crystal clear. Ten minute pot life. Dolluped in with drops from a toothpick. I work in sections.

The tape dam I use on the model exterior is 3M Scotch Magic
The tape is transparent. Easy to see air pockets in the corners. So after the resin is dropped in flip the part over while the resin is still liquid.
A fresh sharp #11 blade pokes though the tape... trapped air goes out.
liquid resin fills in.

Remember to work in sections... put the model hull parts aside and pull the tape off next day. Any resin residue is sanded away. Repeat onto the sections until done.

As all these procedures are done before masking windows with 3M blue or Tamiya yellow tape... then priming and painting finish colors.
DL Matthys
don@dlmparts.com
http://www.dlmparts.com
Make it Glow!
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

That's certainly faster than the Envirotex Light, which needs a day - but it's easy to remove bubbles. Does the adhesive screw with the resin clarity? For an Enterprise, it's not a big deal, you probably want it semi-opaque. For clear windows, it's more trouble.

Terry Miesle
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Here's a new product that I just picked up today: Elmer's Clear Glue.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/elmer ... hool-glue/

I have no idea what it's long-term yellowing may be like, if any. I need to toss together a 'beater' model that has a canopy and use this stuff on it. I am already using it this afternoon to attach plastic craft gems to my 'BlingBird' and it works great on the flat surfaces.
________
Joe Brown
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

I've drilled out my windows on my Enterprise-D.

And I've purchased Envirotex Lite as my clear resin.

If I understand what's been posted here, it sounds like my next step is to cut rectangles of cellophane tape them in place from the outside.

Then fill in with the clear resin from the inside.

Or should I tape from the inside and fill in from the outside?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Scotaidh

Post by Scotaidh »

This is all very helpful for those wishing to simply fill a void with clear gunk, but what about how to make a canopy? I need, at the very least, windshields (ala WWI aircraft) for this - I'd like a full canopy, but have no ideas other than to try to use a plastic water bottle ... or perhaps a plastic wine glass, as from iParty ... hmmmmmm

Anyway - anyone have any thoughts?
"Is Russian artillery. Is mostly on target."
Dimitry
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Carve one out of balsa or a cured chunk of Bondo, then vacuform over it. If you have never tried this before, you will be amazed at how easy it is. For big windshields like this you can use a piece of a two liter bottle. If the first pull doesn't look good enough, just keep trying, the plastic is free.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Its possible there's mention of this earlier in this thread, but there's also Squadron Thermoform. The process is called "heat & smash". Like the vacform method, you'll need a male blank in order to pull the main part of the canopy. But you won't need a vacformer. The process looks crude, but the results are not. You will need to practice a couple of times before you get a pull that you'll like. If you're lucky, one or more of the rejects can be used as a framing layer. That is, you mark out where you'd like there to be framing, and cut the rest away, and apply this now flimsy piece on top of your canopy.
Wug

Post by Wug »

Heat & Smash is ideal for simple shapes. You don't even need to buy Thermoform from Squadron. I've made a small canopy from clear PETE from the lid of a strawberry container. The master was a craft bead. Binder clips held the plastic while a candle heated it. For larger parts you'll need a better way to hold the plastic.

Other modelers get their PETE from water or soft drink bottles. Many blister packs are made from PETE or PS. If you get your plastic from the trash your mistakes are free. I made a bunch of mistakes to get a couple of canopies I was happy with. Someday they'll become debris in a diorama.

If you buy your plastic it will probably require less sanding and polishing.

Mike
talon

Post by talon »

Will Future work for making windows? I'm just curious because I've got a huge thing of it and it does wonders for canopies and other clear parts. I was just thinking applying tape to the back of the part, filling it with future and then let it dry.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
SJM
Location: On top of a stepladder in No Man's Land smoking endless cigarettes through a luminous balaclava.

Post by SJM »

Tchail wrote:I've drilled out my windows on my Enterprise-D.

And I've purchased Envirotex Lite as my clear resin.

If I understand what's been posted here, it sounds like my next step is to cut rectangles of cellophane tape them in place from the outside.

Then fill in with the clear resin from the inside.

Or should I tape from the inside and fill in from the outside?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Tchail
Fill from the inside.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30727025@N ... 577581472/

Let me know how you go :wink:
"Sometimes I wish I could boldly go where no man has gone before, but I'll probably stay in Aurora."

Tranya Addict.