Honing/Sharpening Exacto Type Blades

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

HK1997

Honing/Sharpening Exacto Type Blades

Post by HK1997 »

Do you hone your Exacto blades? I know exacto blades are cheap, but it's great to get extra mileage out of them when you're too lazy to get some new ones. I have a double sided leather strop that I use for woodworking. It brings a dull blade back to life.
Last edited by HK1997 on Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Re: Honing Exacto Blades

Post by USS Atlantis »

HK1997 wrote:Do you hone your Exacto blades? I know exacto blades are cheap, but it's great to get extra mileage out of them when you're too lazy to get some new ones. I have a double sided leather strop that I use for woodworking. It brings a dull blade back to life.
I've got a 6" diameter x 3" thick oil-stone my dad got me when he worked for Nortons (the sand-paper people) some 35 years ago. Will put a 'razor' edge on just about any blade - including my 8" Scottish Dirk.

Atlantis
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

First of all, don't use Exacto blades; they're dull even when new. Use Excel blades. I have one of these that'll resharpen blades.
b5ranger99

Post by b5ranger99 »

I keep a honing stone in my tool kit and dress my blades before I make and critical cuts, even the new blades.

Just my 2 cents.
"When others do a foolish thing, you should tell them it is a foolish thing. They can still continue to do it, but at least the truth is where it needs to be."
Dukhat, Babylon 5

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
Lewis Carroll