What the heck is a Dremel?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

gg_duce

What the heck is a Dremel?

Post by gg_duce »

Okay, I guess I'm old school in that I use an Xacto, toothpicks, clothespins camel-hair brushes, and Testors glue/paints and not much else

So, what is this Dremel tool I read so much about here?
By Grabthar's Hammer.......what a savings.
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Dremel usually refers to any small, rotary tool - several companies make them.

Dremel Corp was the original, and some say, still the best

They also offer small scroll saws, detail sanders, engravers and glue guns

Sample of what they have can be found here

I have an old model 295 (20+years old) that I still use.

Atlantis
gg_duce

Post by gg_duce »

Is it a required tool now-a-days? Is it the type of thing where I'm going to say "I wish I had this 15 years ago"?
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

gg_duce wrote:Is it a required tool now-a-days? Is it the type of thing where I'm going to say "I wish I had this 15 years ago"?
If you're planning on scratch-building from wood to make molds for casting, I'd suggest one - it's invaluable for shaping the wood to make the masters.

For general use in building, it's a bit of an overkill and definitely not a needed item.

Atlantis
gg_duce

Post by gg_duce »

Thanks for the info, folks.

I thought maybe I was missing out on something.
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

If you are a hard core scratchbuilder, you'll find it absolutely indispensable.

I personally find that the new "Stylus" model finds use for me at least as often as any other hand tool. If you are working at all with metal or hard plastic elements, it will save a great deal of time and energy in your work.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

My Dad had one of the early ones so I've been grinding away at models with it for a looong time. Can't imagine not having one around.

But is it a absolute need? No, not really. Just makes some things easier.

Like removing vast quantites of resin.
Abolish Alliteration
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

PS: If you have a loved one who is stumped for a decent holiday gift to give you, they are quite affordable and well appreciated. :8)
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Kolschey wrote:PS: If you have a loved one who is stumped for a decent holiday gift to give you, they are quite affordable and well appreciated. :8)
Indeed. One of the best gifts my wife ever bought me.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Julius Orange

Post by Julius Orange »

Kylwell wrote:
Like removing vast quantites of resin.
Amen, brother! Like hot knife through butter. :8)

There are thousands of uses for a Dremel with regards to modlbuilding and general use alike.

Don't know how I lived without one.

You can get an off brand one at Harbor freight for like $15. If it works for you then move on to the real deal.

Cheers.
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

The little 'off' brand one that my father-in-law handed down to me is really useful.
It has a bit of a nasty wobble, and just can't cut, polish or drill rock...
so at some time, in a more fianancialy secure future, a Fordom or Dremal shall be mine!
Mua-hahahahaha! said the Raven! :wink:
* Joyously Celebrating the Mysteries of Chocolate
*Artistically Whimsical
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

They can be overkill when working on styrene and can quickly melt the plastic so you need to run at the slowest speed for limited amounts of time. Great for carving and drilling harder resin, wood, and metals. If you buy one I'd also recommend getting the flex-shaft attachment for greater control and a more comfortable grip.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

That was quick! :shock: :D
Michael, or Mr. Raven as he has been referred to by some folks here, dropped his car off at the Costco Tire center for a patch job today.

While browsing the tool isle, he saw a Kawasaki Rotary Tool and Accessory set.
233 pieces of drilling, polishing and other powered goodness!
It has a Table Mount.... AND a FLEX SHAFT!!!

:D \:D/

My Main Dude insisted that it get picked up...TODAY.
Dang, but this is sweet!!
*Artistically Whimsical
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Ti Raven wrote:That was quick! :shock: :D
Michael, or Mr. Raven as he has been referred to by some folks here, dropped his car off at the Costco Tire center for a patch job today.

While browsing the tool isle, he saw a Kawasaki Rotary Tool and Accessory set.
233 pieces of drilling, polishing and other powered goodness!
It has a Table Mount.... AND a FLEX SHAFT!!!

:D \:D/

My Main Dude insisted that it get picked up...TODAY.
Dang, but this is sweet!!
I'll bet it was a lot less expensive than what I paid for my Dremel 10 years ago. IIRC mine cost something like $80.00 with only about 5 different bits and no carrying case ! I ended up buying a 100 piece accesory assortment for about $20.00 later on at COSTCO. And the flexi-shaft ran about $40.00. Not more than a few years later you could pay about the same amount or less for a complete kit with about 100 different pieces AND a carrying case.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

The one that I bought yesterday cost $39.99 + tax.
3 small canisters , filled to brim with diff. cutting discs
and a canister of polishing compound were amoung the parts.

It could have a better closure system than the plastic snappy things,
but I can't very well complain about the cost.
*Artistically Whimsical
Scratchawan Learner

Motor Tools

Post by Scratchawan Learner »

I haven't modeled without a motor tool since I was in the service... that was in the eighties. I can't conceive of a project that involved the cutting and shaping of plastic, wood, or minerals, that I haven't used it on. I actually own two of them, (actual Dremels) and I find the flex shaft attachment indispensible. I modified my power cords, to run through a step down transformer... and it slows the RPM down some. You can still melt styrene, if you try to force the cutting wheel along too fast.

One of these days, I'll be able to afford a Foredom tool, like the Rich kids have! *laughing* My daughter (grown) bought me the largest accessory kit that Dremel makes, for grinding, polishing, cutting and drilling... for Father's Day last year. Kids are so much fun while they are kids... then they grow up and buy you presents! :) :D :wink:
She told me that she realized that since I was never going to grow up, in literal fact, that she'd buy me a new set of "toys" for my Fathers Day present.*grinning*
Happy Motoring! Scratch
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hi,Ti! For cutting glass and rock, try getting some 'diamond points' - just shapes of rubber on a 'stick' or shaft, imbedded with diamond powder. I needed a lot of precise holes in the bottoms of little colored glass bottles for one T.V. commercial I was working on and those points worked very well. (Someone else did the hole making for me, I have to add.) Work on rock too.

(But not on Rocs - they make too much noise when you try. Silly giant birds....)
Ti Raven

Post by Ti Raven »

O Great and Wise Zog, these sound very interesting.
An odd bit of timeliness as well. I've been etching patterns onto ceramic and
slate 4ish x 4ish tiles recently and the two bits I've been using are rather
smooth now. Planning to go to the local Lowes or Home Depot tomorrow to
get several different masonry bits. I'll check for these as well, Sir. :D

Thanking you muchly!

Tanya
*Artistically Whimsical
Scratchawan Learner

Kibbles 'n Bits

Post by Scratchawan Learner »

Ti,

You may want to check out a place called Jantz Supply. Leo Jantz has lots of shaping equipment...including tungsten carbide bits for motor tools. Leo's bits range from the small to the large, and the teeth sizes vary also.

I have a couple of his actual (magazine sized) paper catalogs, and they are full of polishes, sanding and polishing mediums, etc.
Jantz Supply is a major supplier of materials and tools to the knifemaking trade... and it's like a toyshop for modelmakers. One can leaf through his catalog for ages, just drooling at some of the tools that Jantz stocks...and all their potential usage for modeler.

Not certain if Leo has an online office... but he'd be a goof NOT to. Check him out, and get one of his catalogs.... it has all the ultracool accessories that a modeler, and crafter of your interests could ask for!

For those of you who are amateur or even expert machinists...Jantz also carries CNC controlled vertical milling machines. Ouch. Talk about a pain in the wallet... but they are quality made items.

Ti, you'll also like a lot of the lapidary supply items that Leo stocks. Some of the knifemakers here in Oklahoma make REALLY detailed art knives... and so Leo stocks a variety of fancy woods, and other materials, with which to detail knifehandles, and guards. I rather suspect that the same materials might be of use to you, in your other hobbies... as I've heard you mention in a few previous posts.

If Leo doesn't have an online website... but your interested in it,
leave a message for my in my box, and I'll get a catalog sent to you.
Leo can use the business, and I always love to share supply sources with people who can make good use of them. :)

Regards, Curt
"Take away money...privelage,power, and position from an honorable man...and he's still got his honor. For an honorable man, that's enough."
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I still prefer Widget Supply for Dremel bits. Some stunningly fine kerf saw blades.
Abolish Alliteration